Connect with us

Human Right

Autopsy Not the Right Way to Uncover Paniai Case

Published

on

Victorm of shooting case in Paniai on 8 December 2014 - Jubi

Victorm of shooting case in Paniai on 8 December 2014 – Jubi

Yogyakarta, Jubi – “An autopsy is not the right way to discover the perpetrators. I think an autopsy is deliberately being used for digging graves and moved the bodies to other locations from the public place at Karel Gobay Arena,” Papuan Councilor Laurenzus Kadepa told to Jubi on Tuesday (15/09/2015).

He said so in responding the statement by Indonesian Human Right Commissionaire Natalius Pigai that said the settlement of shooting case which killed four high school students at Enarotali and wounded dozens of civilian on 8 December 2014 was waited the autopsy result.

According to him, the evidences are already clear and complete. The bullet flakes were founded in the victims’ bodies, there are witnesses from the victims’ side, the survivors, and witnesses from the military. It’s up to the State to reveal the perpetrators of this incident
“The evidences and witnesses as well as survivors are sufficient to direct a conclusion on the perpetrator. I suspect this case of incident would never been revealed as expected by the victims’ family. I said this based on the previous experiences, such as the kidnapped and murder case of Theys, in which the perpetrators only got the light punishment and now Jokowi give him a strategic position. Also another cases in the past that have less attention from the government. For me, experience is a good teacher,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Paniai Regional Customary Chief, John Gobay, added the Indonesian Human Right Commission seems following the demand of Military/Police that already formed a joint investigation team under the Coordinating Ministry of Political, Legal and Security Affairs.
“This team was deliberately set for concealing or even attempting to dismiss the Ad Hoc team of Indonesian Human Right Commission. The fact is the Ad Hoc team has never been invited in the meeting. They (residents – victims) also never saw their Decree. So the Indonesian Human Right Commissionaire must maintain their independence for not being affected,” said Gobay from Nabire.

Related to autopsy, he said it should be done after approval from the victims’ family. “It should be done in the process of investigation by ad hoc team that must also involved the independent party to ensure the result. The projectiles founded in the bodies of Yulianus Tobai, Andresas Dogopia, and Yahya Gobay were already taken at Paniai Hospital and transferred by Indonesian Police to the ad hoc team. So what is it for? Do not limit the case on the four death victims. For those who survive, are they not the victims of severe human right violation?” he said.

He further said, “I think without digging their graves, this case has already categorized in severe human right violation case. Until now, the survivors and the victims’ family are still disappoint and hope that the Indonesian Human Right Commission could accelerate their work,” he said.

Earlier, the Indonesian Human Right Commissionaire Natalius Pigai said the settlement of shooting case in Paniai on 8 December 2014 is still waiting the result of autopsy over the victims’ bodies. “Paniai case is part of the task of Central Government, Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs, Indonesian Police Headquarters, Indonesian Military Headquarters and Indonesian Human Right Commissionaire. The Paniai case only relies to autopsy. This is important because we cannot accuse people randomly. The accuracy of autopsy rate is 80%,” Natalius Pigai said after meeting with Papua Police Chief on last week in Jayapura. (Arnold Belau/rom)

Headlines

Papua Governor: No more conflicts in Puncak Jaya

Published

on

By

Illustration of Mulia City, Puncak Jaya Regency. – Jubi / Doc

Jayapura, Jubi – Papua Governor Lukas Enembe said Puncak Jaya District there should not be a stigma for Puncak Jaya District as a conflict area because it is not a killing field. In contrary, this area is safe and peaceful.

“I governed this region once, so I know what people want. For that reason, I ask the local government officials to be able to take care of the community so to avoid more conflicts,” told Enembe to reporters on Thursday (09/13/2018) at the Office of the Papuan People’s Assembly (MRP).

Furthermore, the governor said to avoid conflicts between different tribes and groups; the government officials should not also act to represent their personal or group interests.

Separately, Papua Police Deputy Chief the Brigadier General Yakoubus Marjuki said that the police always try to use a subtle approach to solve conflicts in Papua.

“This is our commitment because we want every region in Papua to always be safe and peaceful including in Puncak Jaya.” (*)

 


Reporter: Roy Ratumakin

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Headlines

KNPB supports Kanaky for self-determination

Published

on

By

KNPB and Gempar Papua activists at the Secretariat of Central KNPB. – Jubi / Hengky Yeimo

Jayapura, Jubi – Central West Papua National Committee (KNPB) held a limited discussion to support FKLNS (Organization of the Liberation Struggle of the Kanaky Tribe in New Caledonia) which has been well received by the Melanesian Spearhead Group (MSG) to conduct a referendum in November 2018.

The First Chairman of Central KNPB Agus Kosay said it’s time for Kanaky to get self-determination from French colonialism.

“Kanaky must declare their self-determination. If Kanaky gets their independence, it would be able to give their support to West Papua because we share the same situation, which lives under the colonialism,” he said on Wednesday (08/12/2018) in Jayapura.

Meanwhile a member of Gempar (Papuan Youth and Student Movement) Nelius Wenda said as a nation oppressed by Indonesia, West Papua fully supports the referendum agenda of New Caledonia.

“Kanaky must determine their destiny. It must be far better than being under the French colonialism. In the future we Papuans are just like Kanaky,” he said. (*)

 

Reporter: Hengky Yeimo

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Headlines

In Papuan human rights context, Jokowi considered no different from Prabowo

Published

on

By

Papuan students and youth are arrested by the police on Tuesday (4/9/2018) in a rally to support Vanuatu to bring up the issue of West Papua in the Pacific Islands Forum (PIF). – Jubi / Doc.

Jayapura, Jubi – The current president of Indonesia Joko Widodo is considered to be no different from Prabowo in Human Rights violations in Papua.

If Prabowo recognised as a perpetrator of human rights violations in Papua, Widodo considered allowing violent conflicts and human rights violations in Papua to continue. Now both will compete in the Indonesian presidential election 2019.

“For us from Mimika District, Jokowi is no different from Prabowo. Why? If Prabowo is a perpetrator of human rights violation in Papua, the current president Jokowi knows about these violations but let it happened repeatedly,” said Odizeus Beanal, the Director of Amungme Tribal Society (Lemasa) told Jubi on Tuesday (11/9/2018) while mentioning some cases of human rights violations occurred in Paniai, Timika, Ndugama and other regions.

Today the allegations of human rights violations in Papua still continue. Some violent incidents against civilians that resulted in casualties and arrests of random people still occur under the current administration.

The Amnesty International Indonesia has recorded 38 cases of extrajudicial killings from 2014 to mid-2018 that confirmed 51 victims. This report launched in mid-July 2018.

Government efforts and victims rejection

The Indonesian government through the Coordinating Minister for Politics and Security has formed an integrated team whose task to collect data and information, make analyses and report to the president. The team who consist of 39 members from Papua and Jakarta established in May 2018 as an integrated team to resolve cases of alleged human right violations in Papua. However, it obtained rejection from many Papuans to consider them as not neutral.

“It is impossible to accept those who suspected as perpetrators to become referees. Furthermore, we know this team facilitated by the Coordinating Minister for Politics and Security who has a military background. From the beginning, the Police has supported this team. So how could we believe them?” said Peneas Lokbere, the Coordinator of United for Truth (BUK).

According to Lokbere, who continuously are accompanying victims of Papuan human rights violations, the team only maintained the strategy of former minister Wiranto who at that time suggested that the alleged human rights violations in Papua resolved through the customary law.

Moreover, he said until now there are hundreds of victims of human rights violations in Papua who still fight for justice. For instance, the family of victims of the Bloody Paniai incident of December 8th, 2014. The number of victims might be up to thousands because these alleged human rights violations have occurred since Indonesia annexed Papua in the 60s.

“Jokowi once expressed in front of five thousand more Papuans at Mandala Stadium in Jayapura that he would immediately resolve the Bloody Paniai case. But it was only a promise, “said Tinus Pigai, a relative of Apinus Gobai who was the victim of the incident at Karel Gobai Square, Paniai.

According to him, Jokowi’s visits to Papua were in vain, because he had not been able to fulfil his promise to resolve the Bloody Paniai case. (*)

 

Reporter: Victor Mambor

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending