Connect with us

Law and Crime

Father Jhon: Military Hurts Papuan People’s Hearts

Published

on

Paskalis Kosay was shot by a soldier when chewing the beetle nut at a beetle nut stall located at Jalan Sulawesi, Wamena - Jubi

Paskalis Kosay was shot by a soldier when chewing the beetle nut at a beetle nut stall located at Jalan Sulawesi, Wamena – Jubi

Wamena, Jubi – Human rights activist in Papua Central Highland, Father Jhon Jonga, said the shooting incident over Paskalis Kosay perpetrated by military personnel identified as FA who’s allegedly under alcohol influence is yet another proof of the Indonesian Military’s habit of harming Papuans.

“Indeed it is a big hurt for Papuans, furthermore he is a Military Police’s personnel. It means he comes from the elite level of military, which means his emotional stability is beyond others. This action was really add injuries for Papuans,” Father Jonga, the Yap Thiam Hien 2009 awardee, told Jubi in Wamena, Jayawijaya Regency on Saturday (29/11/2015).

On Friday (27/11/2015), around 01:00 AM, a Military Police’s personnel who allegedly under alcohol influence shot a civilian named Paskalis Kosay (18).“I often emphasized this to the military commanders those who drunk shouldn’t given a weapon. I also heard the perpetrator was drunk. The last shooting incident in Timika was also involved the drunk soldiers. What would it be if it kept to be happened all the time?” he said.

He even demanded the Indonesian Army Chief General Muliyono to prove his promise to crack down those whose do the power abuse to harm the Papuans. “Sometimes ago, the Indonesian Army Chief committed he would be strict, didn’t he? Concerning to his promise, I want to say to both military regional commander or district commander to give severe punishment over this Military Police’s personnel in according to the law,” he said.

According to him, the incident was occurred before the Papuan independence anniversary on 1 December. “Each time ahead to December, the incident (shooting) like this is always happening. I think these patterns had been set,” he said.

A victim’s family member, Marten Kosay, said the incident was occurred in Jalan Sulawesi, Wamena at around 01:00 AM of Papua time when he and his friends gathered in front of Himalaya Store in Wamena. They planned to come in the dance party that had been started since 21:00 held in a residence’s house.
“We were already at the party house. When we heard the shooting, we thought it was the car tire. So, we just ignored. Not a second, a boy called Dedi came running and told us that Paskalis had been shot. We all stood up at once. Paskalis’ brother named Yoel directly hold the perpetrator who was trembled at the time, but other personnel came and pushed Yoel,” Marten Kosay explained.

Paskalis Kosay was shot when chewing the beetle nut at a beetle nut stall located at Jalan Sulawesi.
“This boy (the victim) was stood chewing the beetle nut here, then the perpetrator who already drunk came to sit on the chair near the stall. We knew he was drunk and parked his motorcycle there, and then sat down. And because of he was drunk, he directly shot the victim who was chewing the beetle nut,” he said.

“I think he (the perpetrator) has a problem. He sat there for quite long before shooting. Fortunately, the bullet hit the beams, if not it must deeply hit his body,” said a woman, the beetle nut stall owner that visited by victim. (Wesai H/rom)

Headlines

Papua Governor: No more conflicts in Puncak Jaya

Published

on

By

Illustration of Mulia City, Puncak Jaya Regency. – Jubi / Doc

Jayapura, Jubi – Papua Governor Lukas Enembe said Puncak Jaya District there should not be a stigma for Puncak Jaya District as a conflict area because it is not a killing field. In contrary, this area is safe and peaceful.

“I governed this region once, so I know what people want. For that reason, I ask the local government officials to be able to take care of the community so to avoid more conflicts,” told Enembe to reporters on Thursday (09/13/2018) at the Office of the Papuan People’s Assembly (MRP).

Furthermore, the governor said to avoid conflicts between different tribes and groups; the government officials should not also act to represent their personal or group interests.

Separately, Papua Police Deputy Chief the Brigadier General Yakoubus Marjuki said that the police always try to use a subtle approach to solve conflicts in Papua.

“This is our commitment because we want every region in Papua to always be safe and peaceful including in Puncak Jaya.” (*)

 


Reporter: Roy Ratumakin

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Headlines

In Papuan human rights context, Jokowi considered no different from Prabowo

Published

on

By

Papuan students and youth are arrested by the police on Tuesday (4/9/2018) in a rally to support Vanuatu to bring up the issue of West Papua in the Pacific Islands Forum (PIF). – Jubi / Doc.

Jayapura, Jubi – The current president of Indonesia Joko Widodo is considered to be no different from Prabowo in Human Rights violations in Papua.

If Prabowo recognised as a perpetrator of human rights violations in Papua, Widodo considered allowing violent conflicts and human rights violations in Papua to continue. Now both will compete in the Indonesian presidential election 2019.

“For us from Mimika District, Jokowi is no different from Prabowo. Why? If Prabowo is a perpetrator of human rights violation in Papua, the current president Jokowi knows about these violations but let it happened repeatedly,” said Odizeus Beanal, the Director of Amungme Tribal Society (Lemasa) told Jubi on Tuesday (11/9/2018) while mentioning some cases of human rights violations occurred in Paniai, Timika, Ndugama and other regions.

Today the allegations of human rights violations in Papua still continue. Some violent incidents against civilians that resulted in casualties and arrests of random people still occur under the current administration.

The Amnesty International Indonesia has recorded 38 cases of extrajudicial killings from 2014 to mid-2018 that confirmed 51 victims. This report launched in mid-July 2018.

Government efforts and victims rejection

The Indonesian government through the Coordinating Minister for Politics and Security has formed an integrated team whose task to collect data and information, make analyses and report to the president. The team who consist of 39 members from Papua and Jakarta established in May 2018 as an integrated team to resolve cases of alleged human right violations in Papua. However, it obtained rejection from many Papuans to consider them as not neutral.

“It is impossible to accept those who suspected as perpetrators to become referees. Furthermore, we know this team facilitated by the Coordinating Minister for Politics and Security who has a military background. From the beginning, the Police has supported this team. So how could we believe them?” said Peneas Lokbere, the Coordinator of United for Truth (BUK).

According to Lokbere, who continuously are accompanying victims of Papuan human rights violations, the team only maintained the strategy of former minister Wiranto who at that time suggested that the alleged human rights violations in Papua resolved through the customary law.

Moreover, he said until now there are hundreds of victims of human rights violations in Papua who still fight for justice. For instance, the family of victims of the Bloody Paniai incident of December 8th, 2014. The number of victims might be up to thousands because these alleged human rights violations have occurred since Indonesia annexed Papua in the 60s.

“Jokowi once expressed in front of five thousand more Papuans at Mandala Stadium in Jayapura that he would immediately resolve the Bloody Paniai case. But it was only a promise, “said Tinus Pigai, a relative of Apinus Gobai who was the victim of the incident at Karel Gobai Square, Paniai.

According to him, Jokowi’s visits to Papua were in vain, because he had not been able to fulfil his promise to resolve the Bloody Paniai case. (*)

 

Reporter: Victor Mambor

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Environment

Two hectares of forest area burned in Wasur National Park

Published

on

By

Forest fires in Wasur National Park area, Merauke Regency. – Jubi / Frans L Kobun

Merauke, Jubi – Eleven firefighters of the Firefighter Brigade of Forest and Land Control of Merauke was trying to put out of the fire on Wasur National Park area following the forest fires in the past few days.

Sukamto, the Head of Firefighter Brigade told reporters on Friday (7/9/2018) that the forest fires in Wasur National Park were identified yesterday so that his team went to the fire spot immediately.

He explained that approximately two hectares of forest area in Wasur National Park burned, although the firefighter team tried to blackouts of fire using both manual and semi-mechanics water pumps. “We don’t know yet what caused the fire. However, it is more likely the human’s factor,” he said.

Meanwhile, Sota Police Chief the Adjunct Police Commissionaire Ma’ruf states the police have provided an understanding to local communities in villages to encourage people not to burn the forest in dry season.

“If this habit still continues, it might give a negative impact on the forest ecosystems,” he said. (*)

 

Reporter: Frans L Kobun

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending