Connect with us

Human Right

No justice for us, said the victim’s family of Sugapa shooting incident

Published

on

Ilustrated - Jubi

Ilustrated – Jubi

Jayapura, Jubi – The family of the victim of the shooting incident in Sugapa rejected a one-year jail sentence for an officer and 21 days for other four Mobile Brigade officers for their rolesin the incident in Sugapa, Intan Jaya Regency, Papua on 28 August.

One of the family’s members, Thomas Sondegau said the sentences had not brought justice for the family.

Since the beginning, the family wanted those officers to be fired.

“It is not fair for us. The Mobile Brigade officers who allegedly perpetrated and involved in this incident only got 21 days and a year sentences, as well as to deprived for their office. It has not brought a justice for our family,” Sondegau told Jubi by phone last week.

Sondago, who is also a politician from Democrat Party and Papua legislator as well, the family would not ask for anything but only wanted the perpetrators to be fired and their commander relieved from his position.

“If needed, he shouldn’t have any position. I will ask this to the Papua Police. The Police violated their promise. At the beginning, they said the perpetrators would be punished according the Law, but in reality the Law has not fulfilled the justice to our family,” he said.

He’s worried if the perpetrator and those who involved in this case has not been fired as asked by the victim’s family and the local community of Intan Jaya in Sugapa, it would raise a bad reaction among the local people in the future.

“Where is the justice? The life of our grandchild, child, and brother is worth with the punishment of 21 days and a year sentences. We want the perpetrator and other involved officers to be fired and punished,” he said.

Deputy Chairman of the Commission I of the Papua Legislative Council Orwan Tolli Wone said this is not a regular case. The victim was dead because of the officer’s weapon.

“The security forces are armed by the state not for wounding or taking the citizen’s life. Why should he been shot to the death. Is there no other way to do although he might be wrong?” said Wone.

He considered it is reasonable if the family asked the perpetrator and other culprits who involved in this case having severe punishment because they have caused the death of Otinus Sondegau. The Police ethics trial verdict the five mobile brigade officers are found guilty of the misuse of the armed weapon leading to the death of a teenager called Otinus Sondegau in Sugapa, Intan Jaya Regency at the end of August.

Cited by the Jakarta Post, the officers are Jackson Simbiak, Eduardo Ansanay, Jefri Irianto Yohanes, Thom Mathias Wanarina and Yudi Sahi. The ethic trial led by Reeza Herasbudi on Friday (7/10/2016) decided Jackson Simbiak and Eduardo Ansanay to get 21 days sentences and be dismissed from their current positions as the platoon commander. Jefri Irianto Yohanes was punished a year sentence and dismissed from his position as commander. Meanwhile Thom Mathias Wanarina and Yudi Sahi got 21 days sentences and educational career suspension for a year.

Meanwhile, the local government of Intan Jaya stated the shooting case against a student Otianus Sondegau in Sugapa has been solved by a fine that has been paid by the Regent Natalius Tabuni with the amount of Rp750 million and the Papua Police Chief Paulus Waterpauw with the amount of Rp 100 million.

“In the custom, actually it applies a rule that a head should be replaced by a head. People asked the government to prepare the two graves for the victim and his perpetrator. But the law should be enforced, so we thought these money has not been an ending for the settlement of Sugapa case,” said Fransiskus Waine in Papua People’s Assembly in Jayapura City some times ago with other assembly’s members Ciska Abugau, Debora Mote and Fransiska Okmonggop Mote.

He said as a representative institution of indigenous Papuan culture, he said the Intan Jaya Regent, Paniai Police Chief, Sugapa Police Chief, Papua Police Chief and Intan Jaya Legislative Council have protected the perpetrators.

“Although the regent, mobile brigade and police declared that the problem is over but as the representative institution of indigenous Papuan culture, MRP regarded this is not over yet,” he said.

“After all this is about the human’s life. Therefore, the perpetrator should be investigated thoroughly. And the perpetrator should be given to the community to be punished with the customary law if the government cannot able to enforce their law. Human’s life could not be sold though it has been paid,” he said.

He asserted that the regent should be responsible because of his initiative to bring the mobile brigade to his region. MRP also has a query whether there is no Police so that the Mobile Brigade is needed in this region.

“In the Papua central highland we are declining the presence of Mobile Brigade. Being tortured, beaten, then ending with the shooting. So we all knew, that in Intan Jaya, Moni people is still keeping their customs with a stong commitment, therefore the new comers should be adapted with the situation there,” he said.

“With a fine paid by Intan Jaya Regent and Papua Police Chief, it seems indicating that the life of Moni people is easily to buy. What would be happened in the future? MRP asked to the Mobile Brigade in Intan Jaya to return to its headquarters, they supposed to be no longer exist in Intan Jaya,” he asserted.

The Chairwoman of the MRP’s investigation team Ciska Abugau said the security forces, in this case the Mobile Brigade and Indonesian Police, to not provoke the community to against the regent. This shooting is a kind of way to separate the leader from its people while their relationship is harmonious during the time.

“The incident like this always been happened when the regional head wasn’t in his region. I asked the Mobile Brigade and Police to not provoke a clash between the people and the regent. Because this shooting has caused the people to hate the regent,” said Ciska Abugau.(*/rom)

Save

Headlines

KNPB supports Kanaky for self-determination

Published

on

By

KNPB and Gempar Papua activists at the Secretariat of Central KNPB. – Jubi / Hengky Yeimo

Jayapura, Jubi – Central West Papua National Committee (KNPB) held a limited discussion to support FKLNS (Organization of the Liberation Struggle of the Kanaky Tribe in New Caledonia) which has been well received by the Melanesian Spearhead Group (MSG) to conduct a referendum in November 2018.

The First Chairman of Central KNPB Agus Kosay said it’s time for Kanaky to get self-determination from French colonialism.

“Kanaky must declare their self-determination. If Kanaky gets their independence, it would be able to give their support to West Papua because we share the same situation, which lives under the colonialism,” he said on Wednesday (08/12/2018) in Jayapura.

Meanwhile a member of Gempar (Papuan Youth and Student Movement) Nelius Wenda said as a nation oppressed by Indonesia, West Papua fully supports the referendum agenda of New Caledonia.

“Kanaky must determine their destiny. It must be far better than being under the French colonialism. In the future we Papuans are just like Kanaky,” he said. (*)

 

Reporter: Hengky Yeimo

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Headlines

In Papuan human rights context, Jokowi considered no different from Prabowo

Published

on

By

Papuan students and youth are arrested by the police on Tuesday (4/9/2018) in a rally to support Vanuatu to bring up the issue of West Papua in the Pacific Islands Forum (PIF). – Jubi / Doc.

Jayapura, Jubi – The current president of Indonesia Joko Widodo is considered to be no different from Prabowo in Human Rights violations in Papua.

If Prabowo recognised as a perpetrator of human rights violations in Papua, Widodo considered allowing violent conflicts and human rights violations in Papua to continue. Now both will compete in the Indonesian presidential election 2019.

“For us from Mimika District, Jokowi is no different from Prabowo. Why? If Prabowo is a perpetrator of human rights violation in Papua, the current president Jokowi knows about these violations but let it happened repeatedly,” said Odizeus Beanal, the Director of Amungme Tribal Society (Lemasa) told Jubi on Tuesday (11/9/2018) while mentioning some cases of human rights violations occurred in Paniai, Timika, Ndugama and other regions.

Today the allegations of human rights violations in Papua still continue. Some violent incidents against civilians that resulted in casualties and arrests of random people still occur under the current administration.

The Amnesty International Indonesia has recorded 38 cases of extrajudicial killings from 2014 to mid-2018 that confirmed 51 victims. This report launched in mid-July 2018.

Government efforts and victims rejection

The Indonesian government through the Coordinating Minister for Politics and Security has formed an integrated team whose task to collect data and information, make analyses and report to the president. The team who consist of 39 members from Papua and Jakarta established in May 2018 as an integrated team to resolve cases of alleged human right violations in Papua. However, it obtained rejection from many Papuans to consider them as not neutral.

“It is impossible to accept those who suspected as perpetrators to become referees. Furthermore, we know this team facilitated by the Coordinating Minister for Politics and Security who has a military background. From the beginning, the Police has supported this team. So how could we believe them?” said Peneas Lokbere, the Coordinator of United for Truth (BUK).

According to Lokbere, who continuously are accompanying victims of Papuan human rights violations, the team only maintained the strategy of former minister Wiranto who at that time suggested that the alleged human rights violations in Papua resolved through the customary law.

Moreover, he said until now there are hundreds of victims of human rights violations in Papua who still fight for justice. For instance, the family of victims of the Bloody Paniai incident of December 8th, 2014. The number of victims might be up to thousands because these alleged human rights violations have occurred since Indonesia annexed Papua in the 60s.

“Jokowi once expressed in front of five thousand more Papuans at Mandala Stadium in Jayapura that he would immediately resolve the Bloody Paniai case. But it was only a promise, “said Tinus Pigai, a relative of Apinus Gobai who was the victim of the incident at Karel Gobai Square, Paniai.

According to him, Jokowi’s visits to Papua were in vain, because he had not been able to fulfil his promise to resolve the Bloody Paniai case. (*)

 

Reporter: Victor Mambor

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Economy

Legislator urges PT BIA Inti Agrindo to stop cheating

Published

on

By

The location of future palm oil factory in Muting sub-district. – Jubi / Frans L Kobun

Merauke, Jubi – Regional Representative Council (DPRD) of Merauke District speak up after people’s action to block the location of a planned palm oil factory owned by PT BIA Inti Agrindo.

“I fully support the landowners, because it is their rights after the company ignored to listen to them,” said a local legislator of Merauke District Hendrikus Hengky Ndiken on Thursday (08/30/2018).

Further, he reminds the company to not cheating on people. If the community blocks their land, the company must respect and should not obstruct it.

Meanwhile, a member of Papua People’s Assembly (MRP) John Wob stress that MRP would bring the results of the visit in Muting sub-district to the plenary meeting of MRP.

“It recommends that the palm oil factory must be stopped because if it operates, the company will discharge their waste automatically into the Kouw River. It is sure that the water, which is the source of the community’s livelihood, would be polluted.” (*)

 

Reporter: Frans L Kobun

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending