Connect with us

Law and Crime

Papua Legislator Urges Police to Take Action over Church Burning in Aceh

Published

on

Jayapura, Jubi – The Chairwoman of Commission V of the Papua Legislative Council, Yakoba Lokbere, urged the Police to take stern action over the burning of the Church GKPPD Mandumpang Resort Keras, Suro Sub-district, Aceh Singkil Regency, Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam Province on Tuesday (13/10/2015).

Lokbere stated the incident shouldn’t be happened in Indonesia, which engaged with Pancasila (State’s Philosophy), particularly the first principle and the slogan Bhineka Tunggal Ika (Unite in Diversity).
“We must uphold the mutual respect among the interfaith community. So why should our Christian brothers in Aceh become the victims to see their church was burned by some irresponsible people?” Lokbere told Jubi in Jayapura City on Wednesday (14/10/2015).

Further, she said the Indonesian Constitution clearly says that citizens have the right to have religion according to their faith. The burning of the house of worship is certainly violating the Indonesian Law.  “I remind people for not giving a negative respect on Tolikara case, because it had been settled very well. All religious leaders have also agreed to solve this case with the kinship of the Muslim and Christian communities,” she said.

She added she is very concern about the incident happened in Aceh. Thus, she expected the Police would take a prompt action to immediately arrest the perpetrators and prosecute them in accordance to the Law. According to her, both regions (Papua and Aceh) are the regions with the Special Autonomy Law, which should be maintained without hurting the people who live there.
“I appeal to the people of Papua not to be provoked by this case. Let the Police to handle this. Do not only point at Tolikara but the similar case happened at Singkil must also get the same attention. The Police should observe this case smartly,” she said.

As reported by merdeka.com, the Indonesian Police Chief General Badrodin Haiti explained about the chronology of mass dispute in Gunung Meriah Sub-district, Aceh Singkil Region. He said the incident which caused the burning of the church and killed two residents and wounded four people as well was triggered by the demolition of houses of worships that considered have no permit.
“It connected with the case of 21 churches that have no construction permit, so the local youngsters were intended to discipline it,” Badrodin said at his official resident in Jakarta on Tuesday (13/10/2015).

Before it’s executed, Haiti said the local government and religious leaders agreed the demolition would be conducted after 19 October 2014. But, some local residents have taken prompt action by burning out a church. “It seems local residents didn’t admit acknowledge those who represent them at the meeting,” he said. (Roy Ratumakin/rom)

Headlines

Dozens of students arrested following the 10 hours tensions at Papuan student dormitory in Surabaya

Published

on

By

Dozens of students of Kamasan III Dormitory Surabaya who arrested in Surabaya Police Headquarter – IST

Jayapura, Jubi – Papuan students dormitory ‘Kamasan III’ in Surabaya was damaged by groups of the organisation called ‘Ormas Sekber Benteng NKRI & Pemuda Pancasila’. The incident occurred after two group members asked students to raise the Indonesian flag at their dormitory.

Public attorney from Surabaya Legal Aid Institute (LBH) Sahura told the tension between the crowd and students started at around 12.30 (local time) when some members of the group forced to enter the dormitory where located in Jalan Kalasan No. 10, Surabaya. “They forcibly entered the dormitory to raise the flag. When asked by the students who live there, there was a fight,” Sahura explained the cause of the riot which led to the destruction on Wednesday night (15/8/2018).

During the riot, a member of the organisation fell and was injured. At the same time, a student brought a machete to frighten the crowd who forced to come into the dormitory. The injured person then told the police that he was attacked by a student. Shortly after, the police arrived in the location.

“He claimed to be injured because in an attack, but it’s not true. Nevertheless, the students agreed to give the machete after negotiating with the police. Then the police left the scene,” said Sahura.

But then, Surabaya Police Chief the Senior Police Commissioner Rudi Setiawan ordered his subordinates to bring all students to the police headquarter. At first, dozens of these dorm residents refused to go, but then they got into the police truck.

During the scene investigation, military and police officers who mostly wore black clothes and slayers kept watching around the dormitory. According to the students, the tension occurred at around 12:30 at the local time when Pemuda Pancasila, Ormas Sekber Benteng NKRI and military and police officers invaded to their dormitory. They broke the fences and the door, then forced the students to raise the Indonesian in the dormitory.

Later, in the evening, at around 8:30 at local time, the joint security forces and members of the two organisations returned to the dormitory carrying a search warrant to arrest a student with the initial E.Y as a suspect. Thirty minutes later, the authority can break in the door and together with the members of the two organisation they seized the dormitory. At 22:00 the Papuan students were transported to Surabaya Police Headquarter by the police truck.

Surabaya Police Chief the Senior Police Commissioner Rudi Setiawan said there are about 25 Papuan students arrested for being question-related to persecution based on the video about the riots that showed there was a student brought a machete. He said the evacuation of the dormitory is to facilitate the process of the scene investigation.

“It has been regulated in the Indonesian law. So the police have a right to examine someone or carry out an investigation on the scene,” he said. (*)

 

Reporter: Victor Mambor

Editor: Pipit Maizier

 

Continue Reading

Headlines

Authority close the Illegal mine site in Korowai

Published

on

By

A helicopter for transporting goods and miners sealed by Papua Police. – Jubi / IST

Jayapura, Jubi – Acting Papua Governor Soedarmo confirmed that as of 10 August 2018, the illegal mine sites that had been operating in Korowai area had closed.

This closure was carried out by the acting governor himself who came to the mine sites accompanied by Papua Police Chief the Inspector General Boya Rafly and Cenderawasih Military Commander Major General George E. Supit on Friday morning (08/10/2018).

“That’s right,” he replied when being asked for confirmation about the closure of the illegal mine sites in Korowai on Friday afternoon. Further, he said Papua Police also sealed the helicopters which had been used to transport the miners and goods.

The closure of this illegal mine got an appreciation from a member of the Papuan House of Representatives John Gobay. He said this is a good step, but he reminded of the possibility of such mine sites in Korowai or Deguwo to re-operate. (*)

 

Reporter: Alexander Loen

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Headlines

Police come to ULMWP Region Animha during regional meeting

Published

on

By

Act of 1969 – WANI Tabloid

Jayapura, Jubi – The local police came to the regional meeting of the United Liberation Movement for West Papua (ULMWP) Region Animha which attended by regional leaders and delegates that held in their office in Merauke on Saturday (7/29/2018).

According to Deputy Chairperson of the ULMWP Region Animha, Ms Pangkrasia Yeem in a statement received by Jubi on Friday (08/03/2018), Merauke Police leading by the Head of Regional Police Intelligence Budi Santoso had entered the ULMWP Office without permission when the meeting had just finished.

“They asked what the meeting was about,” told Yeem. Then she explained to the police that it was the first meeting after the ULMWP Region Animha declared on 14 July 2018. “And the ULMWP has been sitting together with Indonesia in the Melanesian Spearhead Group,” she said.

After the visit, the ULMWP Region Animha continued their discussion on Thursday (08/02/2018) and read a statement rejecting the results of the 1969 Act of Free Choice. The event was held in the ULMWP Region Animha office and run smoothly.

In her statement, the Deputy Chairperson of the ULMWP Region Animha Pangkrasia Yeem said that the Act of Free Choice occurred 49 years ago in Papua from 14 July to 20 August 1969 was not valid because of not in accordance the international mechanisms.

“Its implementation was also full of intimidation, terror and manipulation. In practice, Indonesia mobilized the troops on a large scale to Papua to overcome the Free Papua movement,” she said. (*)

Reporter: Zely Ariane

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending