Connect with us

Human Right

Wamena Prosecutor Release Tolikara Incident Suspects on Bail

Published

on

The release of JW and AK, who are kept in the custody of Papua Police, was announced on Wednesday (23/9/2015) - Jubi

The release of JW and AK, who are kept in the custody of Papua Police, was announced on Wednesday (23/9/2015) – Jubi

Jayapura, Jubi – The Wamena chief prosecutor has released on bail two suspects in the Tolikara incident that took place on 17 July 2015.

The release of JW and AK, who are kept in the custody of Papua Police, was announced on Wednesday (23/9/2015) at around 17:00 Papua time and attended by the suspects’ lawyer Gustaf Kawer, President of GIDI Dorman Wandikbo, Wamena chief prosecutor Nurcahyo, Papua Police representative and the families of both suspects.

Gustaf Kawer said the suspects were released due to several considerations, including the meeting of Regional Heads Communication Forum of Papua Province held in Papua Police Headquarters earlier this week.
“It’s to suspend their detention, but the legal process is still continuing. It’s applied due to several considerations, including the community peace agreement in Tolikara to stop the conflict. Now the situation in Tolikara is conducive, so this suspension could make the situation getting better,” said Gustaf Kawer.

In the same place, Wamena State Attorney Chief, Nurcahyo, said Wamena State Attorney Office approved this suspension based on the guarantee provided by several parties.
“There are guarantee from many parties. Several days ago, their lawyer sent us a written request of suspension and enclosed several documents, including the letters of guarantee from their families, religious and community leaders,” Nurcahyo said.

In addition, he said, their lawyers also attached the result of reconciliation meeting and peace agreement between both parties, the statement of victims of various ethnics including Toraja, Java and local community, as well as the letter from Forkopimda Province Papua signed by Papua Governor, Papua Police Chief, Papua People’s Assembly, Papua Legislative Council and other parties.
“However, the legal process is not terminated. It’s only to transfer the status of police’s detention to city’s detention. They are not allowed to go out from Tolikara. This suspension has another consideration. It is applied until 7 October, and need to extend after that,” he said. (Arjuna Pademme/rom)

Headlines

Dozens of students arrested following the 10 hours tensions at Papuan student dormitory in Surabaya

Published

on

By

Dozens of students of Kamasan III Dormitory Surabaya who arrested in Surabaya Police Headquarter – IST

Jayapura, Jubi – Papuan students dormitory ‘Kamasan III’ in Surabaya was damaged by groups of the organisation called ‘Ormas Sekber Benteng NKRI & Pemuda Pancasila’. The incident occurred after two group members asked students to raise the Indonesian flag at their dormitory.

Public attorney from Surabaya Legal Aid Institute (LBH) Sahura told the tension between the crowd and students started at around 12.30 (local time) when some members of the group forced to enter the dormitory where located in Jalan Kalasan No. 10, Surabaya. “They forcibly entered the dormitory to raise the flag. When asked by the students who live there, there was a fight,” Sahura explained the cause of the riot which led to the destruction on Wednesday night (15/8/2018).

During the riot, a member of the organisation fell and was injured. At the same time, a student brought a machete to frighten the crowd who forced to come into the dormitory. The injured person then told the police that he was attacked by a student. Shortly after, the police arrived in the location.

“He claimed to be injured because in an attack, but it’s not true. Nevertheless, the students agreed to give the machete after negotiating with the police. Then the police left the scene,” said Sahura.

But then, Surabaya Police Chief the Senior Police Commissioner Rudi Setiawan ordered his subordinates to bring all students to the police headquarter. At first, dozens of these dorm residents refused to go, but then they got into the police truck.

During the scene investigation, military and police officers who mostly wore black clothes and slayers kept watching around the dormitory. According to the students, the tension occurred at around 12:30 at the local time when Pemuda Pancasila, Ormas Sekber Benteng NKRI and military and police officers invaded to their dormitory. They broke the fences and the door, then forced the students to raise the Indonesian in the dormitory.

Later, in the evening, at around 8:30 at local time, the joint security forces and members of the two organisations returned to the dormitory carrying a search warrant to arrest a student with the initial E.Y as a suspect. Thirty minutes later, the authority can break in the door and together with the members of the two organisation they seized the dormitory. At 22:00 the Papuan students were transported to Surabaya Police Headquarter by the police truck.

Surabaya Police Chief the Senior Police Commissioner Rudi Setiawan said there are about 25 Papuan students arrested for being question-related to persecution based on the video about the riots that showed there was a student brought a machete. He said the evacuation of the dormitory is to facilitate the process of the scene investigation.

“It has been regulated in the Indonesian law. So the police have a right to examine someone or carry out an investigation on the scene,” he said. (*)

 

Reporter: Victor Mambor

Editor: Pipit Maizier

 

Continue Reading

Environment

Papuan Film Festival pictures the voiceless

Published

on

By

Jayapura Deputy Mayor of Jayapura Rustan Saru (in the centre) photographed with the Chairperson of FFP II Organizing Committee Harun Rumbarar (in the right) and one of the visitors. – Jubi / Hengky Yeimo

Jayapura, Jubi – Jayapura City, Tuesday, 7 August 2018, visitors crowded in Lokabudaya Expo Museum Waena, Heram sub-district to attend the Papua Film Festival held by a film community Papuan Voice for three days from 7 to 9 August 2018.

A festival participant Mecky Yeimo said the films screened in the festival provide a lot of information about the land disputes between native landowners and investors. “I am happy because as Papuans we can get a lot of information about the deprivation of the rights of indigenous people in Papua,” he said.

Further, he said Papuans are commonly known for their culture of oral tradition, and the information in the films becomes an interesting issue to discuss in the future.

Meanwhile, the chairman of Pusaka Foundation Frangky Samperante, who met Jubi at the same place, said FFP is a forum where people can find out the facts that occurred in many areas in Papua. “Films can be the basis for people to make a judgment based on the information they see and hear,” said Samperante.

Furthermore, he considered this film community could become an agent for Papuans to voice their aspirations and to express their expressions. (*)

 

Reporter: Hengky Yeimo

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Headlines

Police come to ULMWP Region Animha during regional meeting

Published

on

By

Act of 1969 – WANI Tabloid

Jayapura, Jubi – The local police came to the regional meeting of the United Liberation Movement for West Papua (ULMWP) Region Animha which attended by regional leaders and delegates that held in their office in Merauke on Saturday (7/29/2018).

According to Deputy Chairperson of the ULMWP Region Animha, Ms Pangkrasia Yeem in a statement received by Jubi on Friday (08/03/2018), Merauke Police leading by the Head of Regional Police Intelligence Budi Santoso had entered the ULMWP Office without permission when the meeting had just finished.

“They asked what the meeting was about,” told Yeem. Then she explained to the police that it was the first meeting after the ULMWP Region Animha declared on 14 July 2018. “And the ULMWP has been sitting together with Indonesia in the Melanesian Spearhead Group,” she said.

After the visit, the ULMWP Region Animha continued their discussion on Thursday (08/02/2018) and read a statement rejecting the results of the 1969 Act of Free Choice. The event was held in the ULMWP Region Animha office and run smoothly.

In her statement, the Deputy Chairperson of the ULMWP Region Animha Pangkrasia Yeem said that the Act of Free Choice occurred 49 years ago in Papua from 14 July to 20 August 1969 was not valid because of not in accordance the international mechanisms.

“Its implementation was also full of intimidation, terror and manipulation. In practice, Indonesia mobilized the troops on a large scale to Papua to overcome the Free Papua movement,” she said. (*)

Reporter: Zely Ariane

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending