Connect with us

Politics, Government & Security

We Agree to Achieve Peace Through Customary Law, Ustad Ali Muhktar Says



Muslim and church leaders while signed the seven points of peace agreement  on 29 July 2015 - Jubi

Muslim and church leaders while signed the seven points of peace agreement on 29 July 2015 – Jubi

Jayapura, Jubi – Tolikara Muslim leader Ali Mukhtar urged the Papua Police to respect a joint agreement to resolve the Tolikara conflict through customary laws and to stop the questioning of GIDI leaders by police.

“We have agreed to solve our problem through customary laws. As an ustad (Muslim religious teacher) in Tolikara, I am consistent with seven points of peace agreement signed on 29 July 2015. I am asking the police to be wise in solving this issue, forcing is possibly raising another problem. Tolikara incident wasn’t an interfaith conflict,” Ustad Ali Muhktar told Jubi in Jayapura on Sunday (23/8/2015).

He further said if the police still insist and ignore the reality facing by Tolikara residents, therefore the anxiety among local residents would keep on going.
“Please release our brothers who are still detained. I hope the police do not hamper our journey of togetherness and freedom for decades in Tolikara. I have been ustad in Tolikara for eleven years; that local people called me ‘Islam priest’. It’s an evidence of their sincere, honest and closeness over me,” he said.

“If the police take a wrong direction and ignore the reality of Tolikara people, it could raise the anxiety among both Muslims and our community in Tolikara. Many media spread wrong information without referring on factual data. I have conveyed the truth about Tolikara when met with the Vice President Jusuf Kala on 15 August 2015 in Jakarta,” he said.

He further said in the meeting, he and the Chairman of Nadhatul Ulama (NU) Region Papua, Dr. Toni Wanggai, asked the government and all parties to respect and accept the peace agreement signed by both sides.
“I ask all parties to give a respect on the agreement. Our goal is to achieve a safety live, free to worship, free to interact with local people like it was, and to immediately create the harmony and peace among us. It could only be achieved through customary law,” he said.

Dr. Toni Wanggai similarly said the peace agreement of both parties that facilitated by Interfaith Forum in Jayapura by this time is representative. “This joint agreement facilitated by FKUB on 29 July 2015 has represented both Christian and Muslim communities. It is legitimate and unquestionable,” said Wanggai.

Meanwhile, three GIDI leaders of Tolikara region –the Rev. Nayus Wonra, Rev. Marthen Jingga and Rec. Yakop Jikwa—have been questioned as witnesses by Papua Police investigators on Saturday (22/8/2015).

Papua Police Chief Brigadier General Paulus Waterpauw in Papua Leaders Communication Forum with religious institution leaders held in Papua Governor Office on Friday (21/8/2015) said the police would continue working in accordance with a mechanism of promoting the process of positive law.
“Indonesian Police Chief always reminds me that for the case of Tolikara, we should be careful. In Tolikara, in Papua, we are family. Now we are safe. But out of Papua, there’s still a strong reaction over the victims of this incident,” Papua Police Chief said.

“We are only State’s instruments, who want providing answer to the law. But the one who could decide whether it’s right or wrong is the Judge.” he added. (Yuliana Lantipo/rom)


Dozens of students arrested following the 10 hours tensions at Papuan student dormitory in Surabaya




Dozens of students of Kamasan III Dormitory Surabaya who arrested in Surabaya Police Headquarter – IST

Jayapura, Jubi – Papuan students dormitory ‘Kamasan III’ in Surabaya was damaged by groups of the organisation called ‘Ormas Sekber Benteng NKRI & Pemuda Pancasila’. The incident occurred after two group members asked students to raise the Indonesian flag at their dormitory.

Public attorney from Surabaya Legal Aid Institute (LBH) Sahura told the tension between the crowd and students started at around 12.30 (local time) when some members of the group forced to enter the dormitory where located in Jalan Kalasan No. 10, Surabaya. “They forcibly entered the dormitory to raise the flag. When asked by the students who live there, there was a fight,” Sahura explained the cause of the riot which led to the destruction on Wednesday night (15/8/2018).

During the riot, a member of the organisation fell and was injured. At the same time, a student brought a machete to frighten the crowd who forced to come into the dormitory. The injured person then told the police that he was attacked by a student. Shortly after, the police arrived in the location.

“He claimed to be injured because in an attack, but it’s not true. Nevertheless, the students agreed to give the machete after negotiating with the police. Then the police left the scene,” said Sahura.

But then, Surabaya Police Chief the Senior Police Commissioner Rudi Setiawan ordered his subordinates to bring all students to the police headquarter. At first, dozens of these dorm residents refused to go, but then they got into the police truck.

During the scene investigation, military and police officers who mostly wore black clothes and slayers kept watching around the dormitory. According to the students, the tension occurred at around 12:30 at the local time when Pemuda Pancasila, Ormas Sekber Benteng NKRI and military and police officers invaded to their dormitory. They broke the fences and the door, then forced the students to raise the Indonesian in the dormitory.

Later, in the evening, at around 8:30 at local time, the joint security forces and members of the two organisations returned to the dormitory carrying a search warrant to arrest a student with the initial E.Y as a suspect. Thirty minutes later, the authority can break in the door and together with the members of the two organisation they seized the dormitory. At 22:00 the Papuan students were transported to Surabaya Police Headquarter by the police truck.

Surabaya Police Chief the Senior Police Commissioner Rudi Setiawan said there are about 25 Papuan students arrested for being question-related to persecution based on the video about the riots that showed there was a student brought a machete. He said the evacuation of the dormitory is to facilitate the process of the scene investigation.

“It has been regulated in the Indonesian law. So the police have a right to examine someone or carry out an investigation on the scene,” he said. (*)


Reporter: Victor Mambor

Editor: Pipit Maizier


Continue Reading


Freeport, the entrance to evaluates all investments in Papua




Demonstration held by Papua Community Solidarity Forum Freeport (FMPPF) in Papua House of Representatives Office, Thursday, 9 August 2018. – Jubi / Arjuna Pademme

Jayapura, Jubi – Second Deputy Chairperson of Papua House of Representatives Fernando Yansen A Tinal said PT Freeport Indonesia is the entrance to evaluate all companies that invest in Papua.

“I have captured the points that there is a need to be open and involved the indigenous Papuans as the landowners in every investment in Papua,” he said after the meeting with Papua Community Solidarity Forum (FMPPF) who held a rally in the parking of Papua House of Representative on Thursday (9 / 8/2018).

So far, he added, every negotiation with PTFI has almost not involved the indigenous people.

In the rally which coincided with the commemoration of the International Indigenous Day, the FMPPF chairman Samuel Tabuni and the field coordinator Yusak Andato read 12 points of statements in public. One of the points is requesting the Papua House of Representative and the Papua People’s Assembly to establish a special commission to evaluate all national and international investment operating in the land of Papua, particularly PT Freeport Indonesia in Timika and British Petroleum in Sorong, West Papua Province. (*)


Reporter: Arjuna Pademme

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading


Women protest the electricity cut off




Indigenous women traders who barred the road in front of the market due to the electricity cut off by PLN. – Jubi / IST

Jayapura, Jubi – Dozens of indigenous women who are selling local products at the traditional market ‘Pasar Mama-Mama Papua’ blocked the road in front of the market on Friday afternoon (8/10/2018) to protest the National Electricity Company (PLN) for cutting off the electricity at the market for several hours due to late payment for the last four months amounted to Rp 60 million.

The coordinator for the Solidarity for indigenous Papuan traders (Solpap) Franky Warer said it just happened spontaneously because of their disappointment. “The electricity was cut off at around 11.00 Papua time when I was still at home, then someone called me. I then went to the market and called the mayor,” Warer told Jubi by phone on Friday evening (08/10/18).

After that, he said, the Municipal Government agreed to contact the PLN and the electricity in the market turned normal at around 18:00 Papua time.

Meanwhile, the Papuan legislator John NR Gobai commented that relevant parties should pay attention to this matter for not outsizing the traders. “This market is managed under the Trade and Industry Office of Jayapura Municipal Government. So the agency needs to find a solution immediately,” he said. (*)


Reporter: Arjuna Pademme

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading