Connect with us

Politics, Government & Security

Legislator: Indonesia-PNG Border Community Treated Unfairly

Published

on

Border of Indonesia - PNG - Suplied

Border of Indonesia – PNG – Supplied

Jayapura, Jubi – Wutung people who live in the border of Papua New Guinea feel that they have been treated unfairly as they cannot cross the border despite having a crossing permit, said Deputy chairman of Commission I of Papua Legislative Council on Governance, Foreign Relations, Politics, Law and Human Rights, Orwan Tolli Wone.

“Watung women traders who sell betel nut and others admitted the difficulty when crossing over to PNG to sell their goods even though they have a cross-border card,” Orwan told Jubi on last week.

“While PNG citizens who want to sell or buy staples in Wutung gets free access,” he said after conducting a working visit to the area few days ago. .

He said he hoped Jayapura government to pay attention to the condition of society Wutung including basic infrastructure.

“The border region is a state authority. Measure of state success is border communities. Yet the real condition is different. This is not only happening in Papua, but also Indonesia’s border regions in other provinces, “he said.

He further said, to build border region can not simply rely n provincial budget, it needs support of state budget. He hopes the central government to prepare a budget sufficient for the border region, including in Papua.

Mama Septina Wemallo, Wutung citizen who daily sells betel nut to PNG said she and other residents felt treated unjustly when crossing into neighboring country.
“We find difficulty when we want to go to PNG, difficult. Yet, residents of PNG easily come to Indonesia easy. I ever had an argue with PNG security, even though we had a cross-border card, “said Septina Wemallo some time ago. (Arjuna Pademme/ Tina)

Politics, Government & Security

DPRP and MRP urged Komnas HAM to investigate Nduga’s case

Published

on

Komnas HAM office in Jakarta – Supplied

Jayapura, Jubi – Yunus Wonda, the heads of the Papuan Representatives Council (DPR Papua) made the calls after security forces allegedly killed four civilians during an anti-insurgency operation last week that followed the slayings of 17 construction workers by separatist rebels.

“We ask the National Human Rights Commission (Komnas HAM) to conduct a thorough investigation. They must investigate not only this December incident, but also what happened last July,” Yunus Wonda, chairman of the council, told Jubi on Monday (10/12/2018).

DPR Papua will set up a special committee to conduct an inquiry into what happened, Yunus added.
But now, he said Nduga is still closed for any civilians, included member of DPR Papua.

Separately, Timotius Murib, chairman of the people’s assembly (MRP), said the MRP has formed a committee to investigate the Dec. 2 and 3 attacks by separatist rebels and also reports from church that mentioned 4 civilians dead during the evacuation.

“Because this MRP is a representative body for Papuan Indigenous People, we don’t see the Nduga case as a separate issue, but part of what has happened so far in Papua,” Timotius added.

Meanwhile on Monday, a local youth leader alleged that security forces shot dead four civilians on Dec. 3 and Dec. 5, including at least one clergyman, while troops were trying to retrieve bodies of the workers killed by TPNPB guerrillas in the Mbua, Yall and Yigi districts of Nduga.

“Two [were killed] in Mbua and two in Yigi. One [of those killed] in Mbua is my uncle. His name is Yulianus Tabuni,” Samuel Tabuni, a Papuan youth leader who once ran for office as the regent of Nduga, told Jubi.

Samuel stated his uncle was a member of the church assembly in Mbua, not involved in separatist movement.

He said relatives told him that government forces had pressured several pastors in the area to give them information about the rebels. (*)

Continue Reading

Headlines

West Papua National Liberation Army: It’s an attack, not execution

Published

on

West Papua Liberation Army led by Egianus Kogoya – IST

Jayapura, Jubi – West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB) finally spoke up regarding the murder accusation over them. They admitted being responsible for the shooting of people identified as the employees of PT. Istaka Karya that are building the Trans-Papua road.

“We are responsible for that. There was gunfire, and it’s an attack, not execution as stated by the Indonesian security forces,” the spokesperson of TPNPB Sebby Sambom told Jubi by phone on Wednesday (5/12/2018) denying the statement released by the Indonesian Army.
Earlier, the Chief of Cenderawasih Military Public Affairs Colonel Muhamad Aidi that the employees of PT. Istaka Karya executed in a location identified as Puncak Kabo.
Meanwhile, the West Papua National Liberation Army Commander for Region III Ndugama Egianus Kogoya continued Sambom, gave an order to his man Pemne Kogoya to attack several people in the Aworak River, Yigi River and Military Post at Mbua Sub-district.
Furthermore, he said the liberation army had been observing those who worked nearby both rivers. “They are soldiers, Indonesia Army Corps of Engineers, not civilians,” continued Sambon who’s in Papua New Guinea during the telephone.
In 2016, the Indonesian Ministry of Public Works and Public Housing contracted the Army Engineer as a working partner to build the Trans Papua Road. This agreement then followed by the decree issued by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono through Presidential Decree No.40 of 2013 which became a reference for military involvement in the construction of the Trans-Papua Road which earlier named Accelerating Development Road of Papua and West Papua (P4B).
The Army engineers deployed a total of 394 personnel that consist of Detachment-10 and Detachment-12 to work on the roads along Wamena-Habema and Habema-Mbua. Meanwhile, Battalion-18 build the roads along Mbua-Mugi and Mugi-Paro, and Battalion-14 build the roads along Paro-Kenyam and Kenyam-Mamugu. Each group has 107 personnel.
Under observation of Liberation Army
For approximately three months, the West Papua National Liberation Army has observed the workers of bridges construction at both Aworak and Yigi rivers and Mbua Military Post to examine their movement.
“Those who work along the Aworak River, Yigi River are purely soldiers of Engineers Detachment. The liberation army also knew that those who work on the trans-road and bridges construction project along the roads of Habema, Juguru, Kenyam until Batas Batu are military,” said Sambom.
Furthermore, according to him, even though these men dressed in civilian clothes or not wearing the uniform, they are still military. He also said that the liberation army is not a group of criminal as often called by the Indonesian Security Force. The West Papua National Liberation Army is fighting for the independence of West Papuan nation that aimed to liberate West Papua from Indonesia.
 “We have delivered a statement of war at the beginning of 2018,” he said.
As quoted by tirto.id, the National Police Chief General Tito Karnavian said 20 people confirmed victims of murder in Nduga Regency Papua that consist of 19 employees of PT. Istaka Karya and a soldier.
“The temporary news reported 20 [victims], said Karnavian during a press conference held at the Presidential Palace Complex, Jakarta on Wednesday (05/12/2018).
Indonesian Propaganda
In the meantime, Benny Wenda, the Chairman of ULMWP, separately told Jubi (5/12) that the news of the workers’ massacres in Nduga as part of Indonesian propaganda.
“That’s my assumption. It happened due to the broader support from the Indonesian people to Papuans and their nation that showed on the last 1 December. So, Indonesia attempted to show the Indonesian people that Papuans are brutal and able to do massacre. This incident cannot be confirmed yet, but the narrative of ‘massacre’ has widely spread through social media,” said Wenda.
According to him, throughout 2018, before the ‘massacre’ of the bridge construction workers in Yigi Sub-district and the attack on the military post of Battalion Infantry-755/Yalet, there were at least several accusations launched by the Indonesian Army, including the shooting incident at Kenyam Airport, Nduga on 25 June; confinement and sexual violation against dozens of teachers and paramedics from 3 – 17 October in Mapenduma Sub-district, Nduga Regency.  (*)
Reporter: Victor Mambor
Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Politics, Government & Security

15 confirmed dead in Nduga incident; locals’ complaint is a root, says the Church Leader

Published

on

Jayapura, Jubi – Papua Police confirmed fifteen dead in the shooting incident reportedly occurred in Puncak Kabo, Yal Sub-district, Nduga Regency.  Papua Police Public Affairs Chief Senior Commissionaire Ahmad Musthofa Kamal said 19 people shot in the incident that caused 15 deaths. Currently, the fifteen corpses have successfully concentrated in one location for evacuation on Thursday  (06/12/2018).

Trans Papua Road Section in Nduga Regency – Ministry of Public Works

“So, the total of shooting victims are 19 which 15 died, three injured while one survived and had evacuated on Tuesday (04/12/2018),” said Kamal in the press conference held at Jayawijaya Regional Police Headquarter on Wednesday night (05/12/2018).

Further, Kamal said the joint evacuation team discovered all victims in Yal Sub-district and continued searching for other victims who worked for PT. Istaka Karya that consist of a field manager and twenty-four workers.

Earlier, Military Public Affairs Chief Colonel Muhamad Aldi stated that a criminal group had executed the employees of PT. Istaka Karya in a location identified as Puncak Kabo.

It begins with the locals’ complaint
Separately, the Rev. Dr Benny Giay, the Chairperson of Papuan Kingmi Church Synod, said the incident that reportedly killed 24 workers of road construction in Nduga Regency triggered by a suspected military member who took a picture of the community worship on 1 December 2018.

“There’s worship attended by the community, local government and a man who’s suspected military member,” Giay forwarded a message from a resident to Jubi on Wednesday (05/12/2018).

“When residents saw him taking the pictures, they were scared. So, they asked the guy to remove his photos, but he denied,” added Giay.

He then left the scene and went to the military post, while people couldn’t make him delete his pictures. 

Meanwhile, the worship continued to 2 December 2018. The residents who came to the event asked him to remove the photos. Then, there was gunfire near the military post that caused more than ten casualties.

“This is a sequence,” he said.

Moreover, the Rev. Giay added that a polemic whether the dead victims are civilians or soldiers, it should refer to the policy of President Joko Widodo during his visit in Wamena in 2016.

“The point is that President Widodo has trusted the military to build the road following his visit to Wamena in 2016,” he said.

Soon after this agreement in January 2017, the West Papuan Liberation Army who’s has power over this region refused the road construction and gave a war threat.

Therefore, according to Giay, no wonder if the locals suspected the workers as the army. They reckon that ordinary people might not want to work in the region under the security threat. 

Separately, the Corporate Secretary of PT. Istaka Karya Yudi Kristanto confirmed that there were 28 workers joined in the bridges construction project in the Yigi River and Aworak River located in Nduga Regency Papua. He also ensured that there had never been any problems regarding their construction project there. 

Meanwhile, Papua Police stated that a survivor Bharatu Wahyu who’s a member of Mobile Brigade also evacuated to Wamena public hospital on Wednesday night (5/12). He got shot at the right arm, left shoulder and neck in the gunfire when the security forces attempted to find the victims. 

“The plan is to evacuate the bodies to Wamena because most of their families are living in Wamena. But it depends on the weather, if it’s bad we’ll send them all to Timika,” said Kamal. 

According to him, soon they’ve got the news of 31 dead; the joint security force immediately came to the scene for confirmation. Therefore, it was only the initial information. 

Meanwhile, Jayawijaya Police Chief Adjunct Senior Police Commissionaire Yan Pieter Reba appealed the victims’ families and those who want to find further information about the victims to come to Jayawijaya Police

Headquarter or Military District Command 1702/Jayawijaya.

“We provide a post in the police headquarter and military district command as well. So, if people want the information about their families, they can come directly to these posts for checking the truth,” he said. (*)

 

Continue Reading

Trending