Connect with us

Human Right

Legislator: Police renege on Sugapa case



Papua House representative - Jubi

Papua House representative – Jubi

Jayapura, Jubi – A Papua legislator from the electoral district of Intan Jaya, Paniai, Mimika, Nabire, Deiyai and Dogiyai, Maria Duwitau, accused the police of reneging on on their promise in the settlement of the shooting in Sugapa, Intan Jaya on 28 August 2016 by mobile brigade officers that caused the death of Otinaus Sondegau.

Dewitau, a politician from the Democrat Party, said during the negotiation with the victim’s family, the Papua Police promised to give  punishment to the officers found guilty and involved in this case. The victim’s family didn’t ask any more than the dismissal of the perpetrators.
“The lives of Papuans are precious. They are not worth 21 days or a year in prison. It would give no deterrent effect to the perpertrators. People could count on it. What the Papua Police in the square has talked was different with the verdict. It is a lie if the officers did it for defending their selves from people who chased them with the arrows,” she said on Tuesday (11/10/2016).
According to him, if those said the Papua Police has given Rp 150 million to the victim’s family, the money wasn’t for paying the fines based on the customary law.

“When they talked with the victim’s family, we were in Sugapa. At that time, some of Police chiefs including the Papua Police Deputy Chief were attended. The Papua Police Chief gave Rp 150 million to the family not for paying the life. It is to say his condolence. On the other hand, the victim’s family asked that a life should be paid with another life,” she said.

Besides the residents, she said the shooting witnesses are the police officers in Intan Jaya. She asked to all members of the security forces, including the military and police to treat Papuans properly.
“The indigenous Papuans should not be seen like the animals and be killed. The Papua Police Chief must put this case in order. No one has rights to take anyone’s life except God,” she said.
Another Papuan legislator from the same electoral region and also the victim’s family, Thomas Sondegau, said the family could not accept the verdict over five mobile brigade officers.
“Papua Police promised to refer on the positive law, but the reality four of five officers only got 21 days sentences and one got a year sentences. It is only the punishment of ethics. We don’t ask for anything. We only wanted they are all being fired,” he said.
According to him, the officers should get the proper punishment.
“Those who stole the cassava got two years sentences, but in the case of convicted murder, they only got 21 days and one year sentences,” he said.
The Papua Police spokesperson, Patrige Renwarin, said the five officers were found guilty due to the misuse of armed weapons causing the death of civilians.
“The sanction is various, especially for Jackson Simbiak and Paul Eduardo Ansanay, they are dismissed from their position as the platoon commander. Meanwhile Jefri is dismissed from his position as the commander of the squad,” said Renwarin.
According to him, they cannot get the sanction on crime because they are proven to defend themselves from the people’s arrow attack around the shooting incident.
“From the investigation in the trial, the five officers opened the shout after being attack by people with the arrow. Their shot hit the victim,” he said. (*/rom)


Papuans’ trust towards Jokowi has diminish regarding human rights solving



A young Papuan and his colleagues who had been arrested by Surabaya Police for celebrating West Papua independence day December 1st, Saturday (1/12/2018) – AMP facebook



Jayapura, Jubi – Chairman of the Papuan Customary Council Dominikus Surabut said that President Joko Widodo’s policy regarding cases of alleged violations of human rights in Papua raised a sceptical trust of Papuans over him.

“It added a sceptical trust among Papuans, especially the victims’ families,” Surabut told Jubi at his office on Tuesday (27/11/2018) in Waena, Jayapura City, Papua.

Moreover, he said that during his administration there were 7,000 Papuans detained by police in peaceful demonstrations. It’s the highest number in the last decade.

And this distrust increased after the appointment of General Andika Perkasa as the Indonesian Army Chief. In the past, he was a member of the military operation in Papua, but his particular tasks were not explicit.

Some media have released about the involvement of General Andika in the murder of charismatic Papuan leader Theys Hiyo Eluai on 10 November 2001 in Jayapura, Papua.

Theys is the Chairman of Papua Presidium Council (PDP), a political organisation that fights for the independence of Papua that established during the administration of President Abdurrahman Wahid and was not popular among the Indonesian Military. said that Andika’s involvement in the murder of Theys has never thoroughly investigated. His alleged involvement in the case revealed by a letter sent by Agus Zihof, the father of a defendant Captain Inf. Rionardo. Zihow who’s a retired army sent a letter to the Former Indonesian Military Chief General Ryamizard Ryacudu.

In his letter, Zihof said that his son was forced to confess to killing Theys by a man named Major Andika Perkasa. He also revealed that Andika promised to give his son a good position in the Indonesian State Intelligent Agency because his father-in-law was an influential person there. A special investigation team formed to investigate the murder case of Theys to examine Andika Perkasa.

Furthermore, Surabut said with human rights violators from the past surround him, Jokowi would never encounter the humanitarian problem in Indonesia.

Separately, President of the Synode of Baptiste Church of Papua, Dr Sokratez Sofyan Yoman, said President Joko Widodo seems to prioritize the formal events rather than the primary development in Papua.

“There is no significant change. Jokowi performs a play” said Yoman.

Moreover, he said Papuans do not require impromptu visits, acting, or carrying children during his visits, waving and smiling.

People amazed by his charming and that he has made ten official visits to Papua. But, He’s not aware that he never touch the main problem in Papua which is respecting human dignity instead of infrastructure development.

“We don’t need money. Our dignity is priceless. Money cannot measure it,” he said.

The more important is that he respects the dignity of Papuans by stopping all forms of violence and investigating who’s behind it because of 7,000 Papuans detained by the police during his administration. (*)

Reporter: Benny Mawel

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading


Theys Eluay belongs to Papuan people



Theys Hiyo Eluay, Chair of the Papuan Presidium who was kidnapped and murdered on 10 November 2001 – Jubi

Corresponding with the Indonesian National Heroes’ Day, 10 November 2018, the family of the late Theys Hiyo Eluay, Chair of the Papuan Presidium who was kidnapped and murdered on 10 November 2001, announced a peaceful declaration.

The family represented by his son Yanto Eluay said the family already forgives the murderers and requested anyone not to use his father’s case as a political commodity.

Regarding the family’s declaration, the Head of Papua Representative Office of the National Human Rights Commission Frits Ramandey said the family should notice that Theys Eluay did not represent himself, but he acted as a leader of the indigenous community, a political leader of Papuan people. Meanwhile, the UN Human Rights Council acknowledge the rights of indigenous peoples, and at that time Theys Eluay was a leader of the indigenous Papuan community.

“But the family has forgiven the perpetrators. This act must consider as a way of family in criticising the country indirectly,” Ramanday told Jubi on Sunday (11/11/2018).

“Well, it seems they have their way to criticise the state and military. It has been 17 years after the death of Theys Eluay, and his family received a verdict from the court after 11 years. If now his family takes the initiative to apologise for the perpetrators, this might be their disappointment towards the country,” he said.

Related to the law, according to the Article 1 Number 39 of 1999, human rights violations constitute every act of a person or a group of people including state apparatus who intentionally or unintentionally conduct violations including to neglect, disgrace, control, terminate or deny the rights of a person or a group of people guaranteed by law but it is worried that they could not  or have access to justice that included in the constitutional mechanism.

Besides this, Ramandey stated that the case of Theys should not be separated from Aristoteles Masoka’s because both are the cases of human rights violations: Theys was kidnapped and killed, while Masoka disappeared and never been found.

This apology does not mean aborting the case of Masoka. “In both cases, there’s an alibi. There is a plan, and then there is an order. Why has Komnas HAM not yet finished this case? It’s because the military has finished it in the military court. But it contains the elements of a crime that are planning and order to murder. “Therefore, Theys’s case cannot eliminate Aristoteles’ case,” he said.

On the other hand, Aristoteles’ father, Yonas Masoka regretted the decision of Theys family without telling the Masoka’s family. “The case is a package. Theys and Aristoteles were together in one car when the incident happened 17 years ago,” said Yonas Masoka in Kampung Harapan, Sentani Timur sub-district on Saturday (10/11/2018).

Masoka questioned a point in the declaration which states that the incident of killing and kidnapping occurred 17 years ago were no longer referred to human rights violations. He thought this statement already assumed that his son has already found, even though until now Aristoteles Masoka who was Theys driver at that time has remained undiscovered.

Previously reported the declaration under the title “The Late Theys Eluay Family Forgives the Government of Indonesia” published on Sunday, 11 November 2018.

Masoka questioned a point in the declaration which stated that the incident of killing and kidnapping that occurred 17 years ago were no longer referred to human rights violations. He thought this statement already assumed that his son has already found, even though until now Aristoteles Masoka who was Theys driver at that time has remained unknown.

Previously reported the declaration with the title “The Late Theys Eluay Family Forgives the Government of Indonesia” published on Sunday, 11 November 2018.

There are five points included in the declaration: the family object the death of their late father to be politicised and also states that Papua should not be separated from the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia; the family give their apology to all parties or individuals who involved both directly and indirectly in the incident of their late father Theys Eluay; the family also asked the public to not seeing the kidnapping and murder case of their late father as the human rights violations and should not be used this case as a political commodity.

Yonas Masoka stated he was confused and hence questioned the purpose of the declaration. Therefore, he said he would continue to seek justice for the loss of his son. For this reason, his family even came to meet with the Indonesian National Human Rights Commission in Jakarta and Papua for many times. However, he could not get a definite answer from these two state institutions.

He then thought that the peace declaration was part of a political commodity. “This is a political year. Let’s see what will happen after this,” he said.

Theys Eluay was found dead in his car mired in a ravine on Sunday, 11 November 2001 after disappearing for a day, while his driver Aristoteles has not yet been discovered.

The panel judges of the High Military Court III Surabaya convicted four Special Force soldiers who accused of the Theys Hiyo Eluay case. They are the former Commander of Tribuana Task Force X Lieutenant Colonel Inf. Hartomo, former Commander of Detachment Headquarters I Major Inf. Doni Hutabarat, former Operation Chief of First Lieutenant Inf. Agus Supriyanto, and Chief Soldier Achmad Zulfahmi who smothered Theys’s mouth three times.

Meanwhile, the panel judges chaired by Colonel CHK. AM Yamini convicted the lighter sentences to other three defendants, the former Captain Inf. Rinardo and First Lieutenant Asrial were sentenced to three years in prison, while Second Liutenant Lourensius prisoned for two years. (*)

Reporter: Timo Marten

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Human Right

A member of Bawaslu Merauke arrested during Jokowi’s visit



Agustinus Mahuze (centre) with his friends – Jubi

Jayapura, Jubi – Agustinus Mehuze, the Coordinator of Prosecution and Investigation Department of Elections Supervisory Agency (Bawaslu) Merauke, was arrested and checked by Merauke Police following his act of appointing a paper with a say “SOS Our Earth” when President Joko Widodo’s convoy crossed Lepro junction in Merauke on Friday (16/11/2018).

The president and group was visiting Merauke to inaugurate the Time Capsule monument.

Mahuze is known as an environmentalist and indigenous people activist as well as education practicioner in Merauke before he becomes a member of Bawaslu Merauke.

“At that time I was walking from Wasur toward the city. Around half past three in the afternoon, I saw the presidential convoy crossing Lepro. I took a paper and pencil and spontaneously wrote those words and lifted it to show to them. I wanted the president to see it and raise this environmental issue during the APEC Summit in Papua New Guinea,” Agustinus Mahuze told Juby by phone on Saturday morning (17/11/2018).

Then, a soldier who’s in charge to secure the event approached him and asked why did he hold up the paper, while police officers that were also in the scene seem not to be bothered with his act. They didn’t even bother to ask him. By contrast, the soldier intimidated him.

“The soldier asked from which organisation am I? I said I didn’t represent any organisation here. Then he checked my wallet and bag. I only have some documents related to my work at the Election Supervisory Body,” said Mahuze.

Then the soldier asked the police to bring Mahuze to Merauke Regional Police Headquarter for further investigation. Police then took him to the police station at around 3:30 p.m. and he  was questioned in the general section of Merauke Police Headquarter before undergoing a follow-up investigation at the intelligence department.

However, the officer who’s in charge in the intelligence department was not there, so he had to wait until 18:00 before they let him go. “At six in the afternoon, the police said that I could go home and asked me to leave my telephone number so that they can call me. But only about thirty minutes I left their office, the police called me to return,” he said.

When they called, he was taking dinner with his friends who accompany him during the investigation in a place near the police station. So he returned to the police station and underwent the examination in the intelligence department.

“Shortly, I clarified the purpose of my writing and why I showed it. I gave the same answer as before that because I only want to raise the environmental issue and had no political purpose,” explained Mahuze.

After half an hour investigation, then the then let him leave.

However, Mahuze regretted the soldier’s attitude who questioned and intimidated him. “The police are very cooperative. But the intimidation by the military member shows that their attitudes in Papua has not changed,” said Mahuze. (*)


Continue Reading