Connect with us

Politics, Government & Security

Military to Tighten Security on Border after Hostage-Taking Incident

Published

on

33 special force members were repatriated after hostage release - Jubi

33 special force members were repatriated after hostage release – Jubi

Jayapura, Jubi – The military will tighten security on the border with Papua New Guinea following the hostage-taking of two Indonesians in the neighboring country, the regional military chief said.

Relations between Indonesia and Papua New Guinea have been good and are getting better as demostrated in efforts to rescue the hostage from armed men, Regional Commander XVII / Cenderawasih Maj Hinsa Siburian said on last week .
“The border security will be tightened so that the similar incidents will not occur in the future. However, there will be no additional troops, ” Siburian said during an function to deploy Special Forces Command in Rindam.

He said besides tightening the security at the border, the territorial approach will be also improved by urging the community in order to increase its own security in the region.

Related to the process of the release of the two hostages without any request on the part of the perpetrator, military commander said, in an effort to free hostages are always put forward a persuasive approach but also prepared other alternatives.

Earlier, head of Border and Foreign Cooperation Relations Papua, Susana Wanggai said the acquisition process by means of persuasive conducted by the Army PNG against the perpetrator.
“For that, of course we will maintain this relationship. As proof we have the same look that the liberation efforts and negotiations went well. The most important is the two of our citizens in good shape and healthy, “she said. (Roy Ratumakin/ Tina)

Headlines

Attorney says Skrypski forced to attend the trial

Published

on

Fabian Skrzypski and Simon Magal while listening to their prosecution at Wamena District Court on Monday (1/14/2019) -Jubi / Islami

Wamena, Jubi – The trial against the Polish man Jakub Fabian Skrzypski and Simon Magal accused of treason finally be held at Wamena District Court on Monday (1/14/2019).

Chief Judge Yajis, SH, MH accompanied by member judges Roberto Naibaho SH and Ottow W.T.G.P Siagian, SH read the 14 pages charges for both defendants.

Earlier, the Polish Jakub Fabian Skrzypski went on a hunger strike and declined to attend the trial on 8 January 2019 as he preferred to continue the hearing in Jayapura. His act consequently caused a delay.

For the recent trial, however, as Skrzypski still denied the trial, his attorney Yance Tenoye said the prosecutor came to the police custody to force his client attending the hearing. 

Furthermore, Tenoye said the attorney team has tried to persuade his client to pursue the trial, but he remained to refuse. However, they thought he has the right to do so.  

However, the prosecutor said that he would take Jakub to the trial after coordinating with the security forces.  So Jakub was forced to attend the trial. Even the prosecutor said inappropriate words against him,” Tenoye told reporters after the trial.

Moreover, Tenoye said the trial run smoothly. However, the defendant’s application to have a Polish interpreter was denied by the court, as English was considered enough by the judges. 

I think it’s defendant’s right to ask for the Polish interpreter and the court should consider it,” said Tenoye. 

By contrast, the prosecutor Ricarda Arsenius, who’s also the Head of the General Crime Department of Jayawijaya Prosecutor Office, said no intimidation occurred regarding the attending of the defendant at trial.

He further claimed what he did was only to prompt the order of the panel of judges to bring the defendant to the court. “Jakub initially objected to coming to the hearing, but after we talked and convinced him, he changed his mind. The next session will be held on 21 January 2019 to hear the exceptions by defendants’ attorney team,” Arsenius said.

Meanwhile, Latifa Anum Siregar from Skrzypski’s attorney team admitted that in the next trial, her team would present their exceptions from two aspects. First, the chapters of law applied by the prosecutor to charge her client. The prosecutor uses the alternative chapters 1 or 3 or 4, which show the hesitant of the prosecutor which sections should he presents at the hearing.  Moreover, according to her, these articles are weak to apply in the court. 

The second aspect is we will observe the clearance and the compliance of the charges. We will prepare our exceptions for the next 21 January,” she said.  (*)

 

Reporter: Islami Adisubrata

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Politics, Government & Security

Rev. Nataniel Tabuni asks Military Spokesman to clarify his statement

Published

on

: Rev. Nataniel Tabuni (centre) with Rev Esmon Walilo (right) when delivering a request for clarification to Cenderawasih XVII Public Affairs Chief – Jubi / Victor Mambor

Jayapura, Jubi – Rev. Nataniel Tabuni asked Colonel Infantry Muhammad Aidi, spokesman of the Military Command Cenderawasih XVII to clarify his statement saying Tabuni has met Rev. Gimin Nirigi who reportedly killed by soldiers in Mapendupa, Nduga Regency and confirmed that the priest was healthy and fine.

 

In his statement to a media in Jakarta, the colonel made an impression that he talked directly with Rev. Nataniel Tabuni who then asked him to forward this information to media.

 

Then, an online media in Jakarta wrote,” The news of the murder of Reverend Gemin Nirigi whose body then burned by the security forces was a hoax. The hoax deliberately spread by irresponsible people,” said the Reverend Natatiel Tabuni via the Chief of Public Affairs of the Military Command Cenderawasih XVII, the Colonel Infantry Muhammad Aidi in Jayapura on Friday  (1/11/2019).

 

“Nataniel admitted that he had met with Reverend Gemin Nirigi and confirmed that Nirigi was in good condition,” this colonel said.

 

In opposite, Reverend Natanile Tabuni told Jubi that he never said it to the colonel as reported by media.

 

“I never said that. Mapenduma is far away from here. I have never been there. If someone tells a lie like this, it’s not good, especially using my name,” said Tabuni to Jubi in Wamena on Tuesday (1/15/2019).

 

Therefore, he asked the colonel to immediately clarify his statement because it might risk his image as a priest who serves the church in Nduga. “I am a priest. If this information turns out that is not true, it’s also my sin. Don’t use my name to lie,” he said.

 

On the same place, Rev. Esmon Walilo, the Coordinator of Jaya Wijaya Kingmi Church said he had talked to Colonel Aidi regarding his statement. However, when he asked for further clarification, the colonel not answering and their conversation ended.

 

He further said the colonel must understand that any statement made by a priest is related to his church.  Therefore he asked for further clarification from the military public affairs chief. “But until today, I have not received any answer. So who spreads the hoax, actually?” asked the priest.

 

Moreover, according to him, the information about Reverend Gemin Nirigi’s murder was obtained from Nirigi’s family.

 

On 19 December 2018, the Reverend Gemin joined the local people to flee from Mapenduma to Paro, but then he decided to return due to his long-suffering of knee-joint pain. However, his son Mincena Nirigi found his father’s burned body behind their house on 3 January 2019.

 

Reverend Gemin Nirigi was one of the church leaders in Nduga District and also known as a Bible translator into local language.

 

Unfortunately, due to limited access of transportation and communication to Mapenduma, the information about his death still cannot be verified.

 

“To have clear information about Reverend Nirigi’s murder, we recommend the authority to open all access to Nduga, especially Mapenduma, so that journalists, NGOs or church can verify whether it is true or hoax  and who are spreading this hoax,” said Rev. Walilo. (*)

Reported by Victor Mambor

Continue Reading

Headlines

The story of Nduga refugees: Mother died while giving birth to her child

Published

on

Refugees in Nduga – Jubi/Doc

Nduga, Jubi – On Wednesday (9/1/2019), the sixteen-years-old Inambo Tabuni just arrived in Wamena, and she told her story in a refugee camp. 

Soldiers came by helicopter; a bomb dropped into the village.

People fled to the forest to save their lives. Many parents were separated with their children, while those who’re in refugee camp feel grateful that they can run away,” she recounted the incident occurred in the mid-December 2018.

The refugees take shelter in provisional tents and caves in the forest. They have insufficient food to eat. Men took a risk walking dozens of kilometres to reach gardens. They gathered sweet potatoes and taros from the garden in the night.

It helped us to stand for two or three days. After that, men will return to the garden and come back in the night,” she said.

According to her refugees are distributed into small groups to a big group. “Each group contains at least ten people or more.”

She also revealed their suffering living in a refugee camp. “It seems that we are living in someone else’s place. We want to live safely in our village.”

When she arrived in Mbua from Dal, a pregnant woman Selfina Lokbere (32 years old) just came from a refugee camp, and last week Lokbere reportedly had a delivery complication. Both mother and child died.

Selfina Lokbere, who was the wife of Yakerena Umangge, reportedly gave birth to twins. Her first twin managed to be smoothly born, while the second got stuck during delivery.

The second child did not come out, so the mother tried to pull her baby out, but she couldn’t make it.”

Meanwhile, Elinaus Tabuni, a member of the health care team of Papua Province in Mbua Sub-district, Nduga Regency, confirmed the incident that occurred on 2 January 2019.  

This woman just arrived from the forest and gave birth. She had only a child who died with her during the delivery,” he said.

Further, the congregation of Imanuel Church of Mbua takes care of the funeral of Selfina Lokbere and her child, while the medical team checked the rest of her family. It turns out that she has other six children who are still alive. They are Esok Umangge (7), Londice Umangge (8), Ason Umangge (9), Jemison Umangge (3), and the twins Rinthi dan Rentha (2,6). Currently, the twins of the late Selfina Lokbere, Rinthi and Rentha then raised by Gelipa Tabuni, their mother’s relative.

In the meantime, locals said the cause of her death is because she didn’t eat and drink well while in the refugee camp, whereas the medical team thought it’s possibly because of her giving birth too often.

Meanwhile, related to Nduga refugees, the Secretary of Youth Church Solidarity Alfonsa Wayap said three children were reported dead in refugee camp due to malnutrition. The children Ubugina Unue (2), Bugun Unue (1) and Raina Kogoya (5) died in Yal Sub-district.

The local also said there are ten pregnant women among them. “Some already give births while some are waiting for the due date.” (*)

 

Reporter: Benny Mawel

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Trending