Jayapura, Jubi – A Papuan councilor, Decky Nawipa, urged President Joko Widodo to keep his promise to resolve human right violations in Papua.
The chairman deputy of Special Committee of the Papua Legislative Council on Human Rights said one of the measures of Jokowi to meet his promise is to resolve the shooting case that killed four students and injured dozens of civilians in Paniai, December 8, 2014.
“Jokowi got the most votes in the presidential election last year because in his campaign he addressed the issues about human rights violations, so that the people of Papua voted him. At that time
Prabowo had a chance to win in Papua, only because he was rumored to commit human rights violations in the past. If not because of a human rights issue, Prabowo may be able to win majority voting in Papua. Now, it’s time to fulfill his promise through the completion of cases Paniai, “Decky Nawipa said to Jubi said on last week.
According to him, due to the rights issue, Papuans believe Jokowi, so that Jokowi must maintain the Papuans’ trust.
“Up to now there is no seriouness to resolve Paniai case . Whereas the people of Papua, victims and victims’ families are now awaiting confirmation on completion of it. Jokowi should be able to uncover who is behind the shooting action, ” he said.
He said, Jokowi should not be silent. He must look constraints that are now faced by ad hoc team of National Human Rights Commission to resolve the case.
He further stated it is fine for him to command the Police Headquarters to investigate Paniai case. However it should be taken into consideration which team is credible whether team of police headquarters or ad hoc team of National Human Rights.
“The public, victims and their families want and trust adhoc team to resolve the case. So, let ad hoc team to complete it and do not establish other team without any settlement. Jokowi must fulfill their demand, “he said.
Earlier, acting chairman of Komnas HAM Papua, Frits Ramandey said adhoc team is unable to go to Paniai do investigation because there is a tug with a team formed by police headquarters. “People are worried that, if the case is handled by a team of Police Headquarters, perpetrators will not be brought to the Human Rights court, ” Ramandey said at that time. (Arjuna Pademme/Tina)
Attorney says Skrypski forced to attend the trial
Wamena, Jubi – The trial against the Polish man Jakub Fabian Skrzypski and Simon Magal accused of treason finally be held at Wamena District Court on Monday (1/14/2019).
Chief Judge Yajis, SH, MH accompanied by member judges Roberto Naibaho SH and Ottow W.T.G.P Siagian, SH read the 14 pages charges for both defendants.
Earlier, the Polish Jakub Fabian Skrzypski went on a hunger strike and declined to attend the trial on 8 January 2019 as he preferred to continue the hearing in Jayapura. His act consequently caused a delay.
For the recent trial, however, as Skrzypski still denied the trial, his attorney Yance Tenoye said the prosecutor came to the police custody to force his client attending the hearing.
Furthermore, Tenoye said the attorney team has tried to persuade his client to pursue the trial, but he remained to refuse. However, they thought he has the right to do so.
“However, the prosecutor said that he would take Jakub to the trial after coordinating with the security forces. So Jakub was forced to attend the trial. Even the prosecutor said inappropriate words against him,” Tenoye told reporters after the trial.
Moreover, Tenoye said the trial run smoothly. However, the defendant’s application to have a Polish interpreter was denied by the court, as English was considered enough by the judges.
“I think it’s defendant’s right to ask for the Polish interpreter and the court should consider it,” said Tenoye.
By contrast, the prosecutor Ricarda Arsenius, who’s also the Head of the General Crime Department of Jayawijaya Prosecutor Office, said no intimidation occurred regarding the attending of the defendant at trial.
He further claimed what he did was only to prompt the order of the panel of judges to bring the defendant to the court. “Jakub initially objected to coming to the hearing, but after we talked and convinced him, he changed his mind. The next session will be held on 21 January 2019 to hear the exceptions by defendants’ attorney team,” Arsenius said.
Meanwhile, Latifa Anum Siregar from Skrzypski’s attorney team admitted that in the next trial, her team would present their exceptions from two aspects. First, the chapters of law applied by the prosecutor to charge her client. The prosecutor uses the alternative chapters 1 or 3 or 4, which show the hesitant of the prosecutor which sections should he presents at the hearing. Moreover, according to her, these articles are weak to apply in the court.
“The second aspect is we will observe the clearance and the compliance of the charges. We will prepare our exceptions for the next 21 January,” she said. (*)
Reporter: Islami Adisubrata
Editor: Pipit Maizier
The story of Nduga refugees: Mother died while giving birth to her child
Nduga, Jubi – On Wednesday (9/1/2019), the sixteen-years-old Inambo Tabuni just arrived in Wamena, and she told her story in a refugee camp.
“Soldiers came by helicopter; a bomb dropped into the village.
People fled to the forest to save their lives. Many parents were separated with their children, while those who’re in refugee camp feel grateful that they can run away,” she recounted the incident occurred in the mid-December 2018.
The refugees take shelter in provisional tents and caves in the forest. They have insufficient food to eat. Men took a risk walking dozens of kilometres to reach gardens. They gathered sweet potatoes and taros from the garden in the night.
“It helped us to stand for two or three days. After that, men will return to the garden and come back in the night,” she said.
According to her refugees are distributed into small groups to a big group. “Each group contains at least ten people or more.”
She also revealed their suffering living in a refugee camp. “It seems that we are living in someone else’s place. We want to live safely in our village.”
When she arrived in Mbua from Dal, a pregnant woman Selfina Lokbere (32 years old) just came from a refugee camp, and last week Lokbere reportedly had a delivery complication. Both mother and child died.
Selfina Lokbere, who was the wife of Yakerena Umangge, reportedly gave birth to twins. Her first twin managed to be smoothly born, while the second got stuck during delivery.
“The second child did not come out, so the mother tried to pull her baby out, but she couldn’t make it.”
Meanwhile, Elinaus Tabuni, a member of the health care team of Papua Province in Mbua Sub-district, Nduga Regency, confirmed the incident that occurred on 2 January 2019.
“This woman just arrived from the forest and gave birth. She had only a child who died with her during the delivery,” he said.
Further, the congregation of Imanuel Church of Mbua takes care of the funeral of Selfina Lokbere and her child, while the medical team checked the rest of her family. It turns out that she has other six children who are still alive. They are Esok Umangge (7), Londice Umangge (8), Ason Umangge (9), Jemison Umangge (3), and the twins Rinthi dan Rentha (2,6). Currently, the twins of the late Selfina Lokbere, Rinthi and Rentha then raised by Gelipa Tabuni, their mother’s relative.
In the meantime, locals said the cause of her death is because she didn’t eat and drink well while in the refugee camp, whereas the medical team thought it’s possibly because of her giving birth too often.
Meanwhile, related to Nduga refugees, the Secretary of Youth Church Solidarity Alfonsa Wayap said three children were reported dead in refugee camp due to malnutrition. The children Ubugina Unue (2), Bugun Unue (1) and Raina Kogoya (5) died in Yal Sub-district.
The local also said there are ten pregnant women among them. “Some already give births while some are waiting for the due date.” (*)
Reporter: Benny Mawel
Editor: Pipit Maizier
Current conditions of Nduga refugees: getting sick, trauma and injuries
Wamena, Jubi – The health care team of Province Papua assisted by the Health Office of Nduga Regency, which was deployed to provide health services in sub-districts affected by gun conflict in Nduga, has returned to Wamena after serving the community.
Based on three days health examination (from 8 to 10 January 2019) implemented in sub-districts of Mbua, Dal and Mbulmu Yalma, they found common diseases appeared among the refugees.
The health care team coordinator dr Beery I. S Wopari explained this happened due to lacking food supplies. “In our struggling to overcome the geographical challenge during the services, there are indeed some diseases that dominantly found among adults and children,” he told reporters in Wamena on Friday evening (11/1/2019).
He added that his team found many cases of joint and bone pain as well as the pain in the entire body and headache. There are also some cases of high blood pressure among men and women.
Meanwhile for children, infants and toddlers, the common diseases found in respiratory infectious diseases such as flu and cough as well as diarrhoea, intestinal worms and wounds. They also found some pregnant women among the refugees.
Many children also have wounds in their body as a result of falling in the running.
Dr Wopari also revealed that there are three adults wounded by gunshot, but they didn’t come to treatment so that the team only gave medication to reduce pain.
Meanwhile, a member of health care team Elianus Tabuni admitted that the deployed team has 16 people consisting of specialists, medical practitioners, and nurses and assisted by a team from the Health Office of Nduga Regency. The three days services concentrated in three sub-districts, Mbua, Dal and Mbulmu Yalma, Nduga Regency plus Ilekma Sub-district, Jayawijaya Regency because many people fled to Wamena.
The team also planned to go to Yigi Sub-district in the third day, but due to an unfavourable situation, they returned to Wamena to continue their service there.
“We communicated with the military regarding the update situation in Yigi. They suggested us not to come to the area because of gunshots arbitrary caught in this area. We assumed it was a bad sign for us to continue our journey to Yigi Sub-district,” said Elianus Tabuni.
He also admitted besides the geographical difficulties and cold weather, people who come for treatment didn’t trust them for the first time.
They might be traumatic thus they ever questioned us whether we came to help them, to provide health services or another else,” said Tabuni. (*)
Reporter: Islami Adisubrata
Editor: Pipit Maizier
- Serikat pekerja Tunisia rencanakan pemogokan umum 20 January 2019
- Topan musim dingin ganggu transportasi AS 20 January 2019
- Tak punya uang, tapi targetkan enam kursi di DPRD Keerom 20 January 2019
- Tiket pesawat ke Lombok dinilai terlalu mahal 20 January 2019
- Komisi V DPR Papua: Ada alokasi anggaran OPD tak sesuai Renja 20 January 2019
- Jakarta waspadai DBD pada selama Februari - Maret 20 January 2019
- Ingin lindungi umat, Gembala selalu dituding bicara Papua Merdeka 20 January 2019
- Kampanye di rumah ibadah bisa kena pidana 20 January 2019
Headlines1 week ago
Three refugees reportedly died in Nduga Forest
Headlines1 month ago
Papuan people demand the President to withdraw troops from Nduga
Headlines3 months ago
When a dense forest turns into an oil palm plantation
Health & Education Service4 years ago
Sex Education Taught at School In Jayawijaya
Economy3 months ago
Freeport Indonesia disregards Papua Manpower Office’s Decree
Headlines4 months ago
Civilians are allegedly among casualties in Tingginambut gunfire
Environment4 months ago
Green economy development would be on five indigenous territories
Headlines3 months ago
Reconstruction is necessary to track the implementation of Special Autonomy in Papua