Connect with us

Law and Crime

Prisoner Bribes Prison Guard to Escape

Published

on

Jayapura, Jubi – A recaptured prisoner who escaped from Timika prison last year said his parents bribed prison guards to allow him to escape. 

Illustration - tempo.co

Illustration – tempo.co

The 28-year-old convict, identified by his initials UW (28 years) had served three years of his sentence for rape when he escaped after his parents gave 4 million rupiah to a prison guard.

UW said he was asked to find the right time to escape. Shortly, a guard took him to Timika City by car. On the way, the guard asked him to run immediately.

“My mother told me she gave Rp 4 million to the guard. I was asked to wait the right moment. Some times ago, I was asked to go around by car. When we arrived in Timika City, he told me to run. So I ran away,” he said on Wednesday (25/11/2015).

During his escape, he decided to leave Timika and go to Sorong, West Papua. When he felt safe already, he returned to Timika some times ago.

But he was embroiled in a assault case at Pasar Damai, Sempan, Timika.  “I think it’s safe now because I have not been in Timika for long time. The police arrested me because I assaulted someone at Pasar Damai,” he said.

As a consequence, he is now returning in jail of Mimika Baru Police Headquarter. Mimika Baru Police Chief Adjunct Police Commissionaire I Gede Putra confirmed if UW is a fugitive who escaped from the Timika Prison since 2014.

Mimika Baru Police Chief is currently coordinating with Timika Prison Level II B to restore him to the prison. Besides having to live the rest of his sentence, he also has to face the legal process in the assault case at Pasar Damai. (*/rom)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Current conditions of Nduga refugees: getting sick, trauma and injuries

Published

on

Women and children in Yigi Sub-district come to the central of sub-district from refugee camp to meet the evacuation team. – Jubi/Victor Mambor

Wamena, Jubi – The health care team of Province Papua assisted by the Health Office of Nduga Regency, which was deployed to provide health services in sub-districts affected by gun conflict in Nduga, has returned to Wamena after serving the community.

Based on three days health examination (from 8 to 10 January 2019) implemented in sub-districts of Mbua, Dal and Mbulmu Yalma, they found common diseases appeared among the refugees.

The health care team coordinator dr Beery I. S Wopari explained this happened due to lacking food supplies. “In our struggling to overcome the geographical challenge during the services, there are indeed some diseases that dominantly found among adults and children,” he told reporters in Wamena on Friday evening (11/1/2019).

He added that his team found many cases of joint and bone pain as well as the pain in the entire body and headache. There are also some cases of high blood pressure among men and women.

Meanwhile for children, infants and toddlers, the common diseases found in respiratory infectious diseases such as flu and cough as well as diarrhoea, intestinal worms and wounds. They also found some pregnant women among the refugees. 

Many children also have wounds in their body as a result of falling in the running.

Dr Wopari also revealed that there are three adults wounded by gunshot, but they didn’t come to treatment so that the team only gave medication to reduce pain.

Meanwhile, a member of health care team Elianus Tabuni admitted that the deployed team has 16 people consisting of specialists, medical practitioners, and nurses and assisted by a team from the Health Office of Nduga Regency. The three days services concentrated in three sub-districts, Mbua, Dal and Mbulmu Yalma, Nduga Regency plus Ilekma Sub-district, Jayawijaya Regency because many people fled to Wamena.

The team also planned to go to Yigi Sub-district in the third day, but due to an unfavourable situation, they returned to Wamena to continue their service there.

We communicated with the military regarding the update situation in Yigi. They suggested us not to come to the area because of gunshots arbitrary caught in this area. We assumed it was a bad sign for us to continue our journey to Yigi Sub-district,” said Elianus Tabuni.

He also admitted besides the geographical difficulties and cold weather, people who come for treatment didn’t trust them for the first time.

They might be traumatic thus they ever questioned us whether we came to help them, to provide health services or another else,” said Tabuni. (*)

 

Reporter: Islami Adisubrata

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Headlines

Three refugees reportedly died in Nduga Forest

Published

on

Nduga residents forced to exile from their villages. – Jubi / IST

Jayapura, Jubi – Following the military operation by the Indonesian Army in Nduga, Papua since mid-December 2018, local people are forced taking refuge to the forests to save their lives.

Until now, they live in huts, move from one village to another,” said Alfonsa Wayap, the Chairwoman of Regional Youth Catholic Commissariat of Papua Province to Jubi on (08/01/2019) in Abepura, Jayapura City, Papua.

She said that the health condition of the refugees is increasingly alarming from time to time.  Many children and adults currently experience malnutrition. Even some of them died due to lack of food.

Three infants reportedly died because of hunger,” continued Wayap, who’s also the Secretary of Youth Ministry for Nduga Aid Solidarity.

According to her, the infants who died in Yal Sub-district are two years old Ubugina Unue, one-year-old Bugun Unue and five years old Raina Kogoya.

Further, the local people, she said, also informed that there are ten pregnant women among them in refugee camps. Some church fellows then confirmed that there are four pregnant women in Yigi Sub-district, five from Yal Sub-district, and one from Mapenduma Sub-district.

Four women identified as Leribina Gwijangge (20), Lerni Gwijangge (18), Elsina Kogeya (35) and Bobina Kogeya (16) have given birth, while others are still waiting for their due date. (*)

 

Reporter: Benny Mawel

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Headlines

Skrzypski goes to a hunger strike asking for trial moved to Jayapura

Published

on

First trial of Jakub Fabian Skrzypski and Simon Magal which delayed on 17 December 2018. -Jubi/Islami

Wamena, Jubi – After being delayed, the trial of an indictment reading against the Polish defendant Jakup Fabian Skrzypski and Simon Magal, that scheduled to be held on Tuesday (8/1/2019) at Wamena District Court have postponed one more time.

His attorney Welis Doga in Wamena District Court revealed that he and Simon Magal’s attorney had been in the court while waiting for the prosecutor to pick up the defendant Skrzypski from Jayawijaya police detention. However, the prosecutor called to inform him that his client refused to come to the trial. He finally went to the police detention to persuade him attending the court.

He then revealed the reason why his client refused to come. “He wanted the trial to conduct in Jayapura.” For that reason, currently, Skrzypski goes to a strike hunger in detention.

“Then I talked to the attorney, the food has properly accommodated, but it might be about the different treatment he had in his country, Poland. That might be the reason why he refused to get a trial in Wamena,” he said.

After coordinating with another legal counsel, Welis Doga asked the court to postpone the trial until 14 January 2019. “For Jacob, I will talk with another legal counsel as well as speak to him about the possibility to follow this stage. Therefore, I’ve tried to talk with the judge. However, the court has no right to move the trial to Jayapura,” said Doga.

Separately, Simon Magal’s attorney David Maturbongs admitted he initially had the same thought as Skrzypski, trying to ask for the transfer of trial location from Wamena to Jayapura.

“We had tried, but the High Prosecutor’s Office said the time already passed. It should be communicated from the start and pleaded to the Supreme Court asking for the transfer of trial location from Wamena District Court to Jayapura District Court,” he said.

Previously, the inaugural trial with the agenda of reading the charges against defendants Jakub Fabian Skrzypski (39 years) and Simon Magal aka Simon Carlos Magal (30 years) scheduled for Monday (12/17/2018), also had to be cancelled because of the interpreter of the defendant Jakub Fabian Skrzypski was not present. As a result, the Chief Judge Yajid, SH., MH along with member judges Roberto Naibaho, SH and Ottow W.T.G.P Siagian, SH postponed the reading of the indictment until 8 January 2019.

Meanwhile, the Prosecutor Ricarda Arsenius said because of the trial occurred in Indonesia should refer to the Indonesian Law, and use Bahasa Indonesia.

“We have already called the interpreter, but because of the difficulties getting air ticket during the holiday, we cannot present the interpreter,” he said. 

Jakub Fabian Skrzypski is a Polish citizen who’s the first foreign national in Indonesia to be tried with treason articles, namely Article 106 of the Criminal Code and or Article 110 of the Criminal Code and or Article 111 of the Criminal Code in conjunction with Article 53 of the Criminal Code and 55 of the Criminal Code. He’s charged with life imprisonment or a maximum of twenty years imprisonment. (*)

 

Reporter: Islami

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Trending