Connect with us

Law and Crime

Wamena Prosecutor’s Office Charges Five in Corruption Cases

Published

on

Wamena, Jubi – The Wamena Prosecutor’s Office charged five people with corruption in Yahukimo and Yalimo regencies on Monday (3/11).

Three suspects –  the head of Yalimo General Affairs Office, Yusuf Tandipare, a contractor Amos Huby, a legal officer Samuel R Patabang, and a consultant Iwan Turangan – are accused of corruption involving a project to build a Micro Hydro Power Generator (PLTMH) in 2011.

Treasurer Obednego Palangan is a suspect over fraud related to vehicle and house rents for the head of the Yahukimo Religious Affairs Office.  The head of the Yahukimo Religious Affairs Office was arrested four months ago.

Chief prosecutor Dian Frits Nalle told reporters that the detention would speed up their trial and prevent them from destroying evidence. “I hope we could take these cases immediately to the court. The suspects were charged under the Law of Corruption Crime which is punishable by a maximum 20 years in prison,” she said.

She said there was a possibility for arresting other suspects related to these cases.

The five were named suspects two months ago. “They were just arrested now because we need evidence to support the indictment,” she said.

Related to Yalimo case, six witnesses have been questioned, but according to her, they don’t need many witnesses if they have enough evidences such as letters or other supporting documents. “So far, the Prosecutor have seized some documents related to agreement and working documents, but we might be seized another evidence soon,” she revealed.

Further related to Yahukimo case, Nalle said the Prosecutor Office would immediately take the case to the court. “Because today we have detained the treasurer and previously we have arrested the Head of the Yahukimo Religious Affairs Office,” she said.

Meanwhile, the lawyer in the PLTMH Yalimo case, Sihar Tobing told reporters he was disappointed with his clients’ detention. Because during the process of investigation, his clients were cooperatives and they might not escape or destroy the evidences.
“I object this detention, because no official summon to my clients. Therefore I will propose the suspension of their detention or a city arrest,” said Tobing. (Islami/rom)

Headlines

Human rights violations talk in the meeting of Military Commander and Parliament Chairman

Published

on

Head of Papua House of Representatives  (DPR Papua)Yunus Wonda with Pangdam XVII Cenderawasih, Mayor Jenderal (Mayjen) TNI Yosua Pandit Sembiring – Jubi/Arjuna Pademme

Jayapura, Jubi – Major General Yosua Pandit Sembiring, who recently appointed as the Commander of Regional Military Command XVII Cenderawasih, met Yunus Wonda, the Chairman of Papuan Parliament on Thursday (10/18/2018).

After the meeting where took place in the chairman office, the Commander stated instead of talking about human rights violations they discuss the development in Papua.

“We also didn’t talk about the involvement of military culprits in human rights violations. Even if it was true, I ask for clear information and evidence. We surely cannot rely on rumours, so clear evidence is needed,” he said.

Moreover, he declared his meeting with the chairman was just a friendship meeting and information exchange to improve Papua in the future. “This meeting is solely a gathering to exchange information and experience,” he said.

Furthermore, he said both sides concern about how to make Papua more advanced and how to scale up the capacity of Papuan human resources, including in the field of education.

“From our conversation, I figure out that 100 indigenous Papuans have sent to school outside of Papua. This kind of program needs to be improved because these students can bring Papua to a better direction once they return,” he said.

Similarly, Yunus Wonda said the meeting was just a friendship meeting that not discusses any other matters. “We only talk about general issues, exchange ideas. I only asked him to support us in the upcoming PON 2020 (the National Sports Week Event),” he said. (*)

 

Reporter: Arjuna Pademme

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Headlines

Police declare completion of Skrzypski’s trial documents

Published

on

Jakup Febian Skrzypski with Frits Ramandey, human Right Commission Office of Papua – Jubi/Doc

Jayapura, Jubi – Relevant documents of 30-year-old-Polish Jakup Febian Skrzypski (JFS) who arrested by a joint team from Papua Regional Police and Jayawijaya Regional Police at a hotel in Wamena City, Jayawijaya Regency, a few months ago due to an allegation associated with an insurgent group are already complete.

Public Relations Chief of Papua Police Senior Commissionaire A.M. Kamal said the prosecutor office confirmed the completion of these relevant documents. Therefore, the investigators from the Directorate of Crime of Papua Police will handover both the suspect and pieces of evidence to Wamena District Attorney for further process.

“Regarding this case, the investigators from the Directorate of Crime of Papua Police have questioned four witnesses,” said Kamal on Friday (10/19/2018).

Skrzypski is charging against Article 106 of the Criminal Code concerning State’s treason that makes him possible to take life imprisonment or twenty years in jail.  “While other suspects YS and SM are still being investigated,” he said.

Earlier last month, the Head of Papua Representative Office of Human Rights Commission Frits Ramandey confirmed that the suspect Skrzypski was physically in good condition in the prison of Papua Regional Police.

“Even though he is fine physically, and as a prisoner, he has his right, but I think he is psychologically stressed,” Ramandey said at the time. (*)

 

Reporter: Arjuna Pademme

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading

Law and Crime

Dekai gradually recovers, actors allegedly take advantages of clash situation

Published

on

Houses of residents that burned during residents clash in Dekai,
Yahukimo District, Monday (8/10/2018) – Jubi. Doc

Jayapura, Jubi – Security situation in Dekai, the capital city of Yahukimo District, is getting recovered gradually. However, public activities in this town still not running well after the dispute involving residents a few days ago. Streets and the centre of the crowd are reportedly abandoned.

“Many people still decide to stay outside of the town. Schools, offices and shops are still closed. “I had a little walk this morning and only met some people riding their motorbikes,” a Deyai resident Nias Baye told Jubi by phone on Tuesday (9/10/2018).
He hopes the government of Yahukimo District to appeal residents returning to their homes. “The clash is over, but many residents are worried about their safety. Therefore, they choose to remain in their shelters. Shops should also be reopened so that we can buy our necessities and other things,” he said.
The clash triggered by a traffic accident occurred on Saturday that led to a dispute between two groups of citizens in Dekai for three days, from Saturday to Monday (8/10/2018).
Actors allegedly take benefits of the situation
Papuan legislator from Yahukimo District Sinut Busup suspects someones who take advantages of the clash situation. He said the traffic accident should possibly resolve by law, but what has happened was the two groups of citizens involved in the dispute and resulted in many casualties including many injured people and material loss.
“I suspect there are culprits behind the action who provoke the community for their interests,” Busup said on Tuesday (10/10/2018).
According to him, the police must investigate, reveal and arrest the perpetrators who provoke people that triggering a dispute. Moreover, he said another impact of this incident is students and pupils studying in other regions are worried and anxious about an unexpected situation in their hometown.
Meanwhile, Yahukimo Regent Abock Busup said the security forces are coping with the clash in this region. “At the moment, the situation in Yahukimo is safe and under control. I have already communicated the security forces asking them to investigate this case thoroughly,” the regent told Jubi by phone on Monday evening (8/10/2018).
He further said he wants this case to take to the court and not through the customary fines or an amicable solution. “I ask the person who triggers this conflict to be arrested and taken to court,” he said.
Law is a key solution
In response to this issue, a member KPMY (Yahukimo Students Community) in Jayapura Habel Pusop said their concern over the clash in their hometown that has taken many casualties.
“We are very concerned about the current situation in Yahukimo. At the moment, the situation is very tense that makes people uneasy. The government activity is not running well, so, we are in Jayapura feeling very sad,” he said.
Furthermore, he said this incident should be determined by law. People who found guilty in this incident must be treated by the Indonesian Law so that people can return to their normal activities without feeling worried.
“The problem was triggered by only one person, but the impact of revenge caused many casualties from both sides. As a student, we care, are upset and sad at the same time,” he said.
Finally, he asks all Yahukimo students throughout Indonesia, especially those studying in Jayapura City, are not provoked by many fake issues or hoax news about this issue.  (*)
Reporter: Piter L, Arjuna P, Hengky Y
Editor: Pipit Maizier

 

Continue Reading

Trending